Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2006 LBZ, I noticed after letting it warm up at idle for about 15 min, and shutting it off. I opened the hood about 10 min later to find the upper radiator hose flat. Pretty sure this is a sign to replace it, but is it an imminent sign? We are heading out for a 2-3 week rv trip so I will replace it if, need be, and I can find one.

Another question, is the only issue is to drain the coolant, and replace hose, and refill, and make sure to burp it? Seems these is a special way to burp the air out but I forget what that is.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
How is your coolant level when the radiator hose is flat?

It could be simply a bad coolant reservoir cap not venting. Try unscrewing the cap andsee if the hose heals itself. If so, replace the cap.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Sometimes the rubber poppet valve in the cap gets stuck and won't open back up when the engine cools off. A new cap will fix it, or sometimes just washing the cap in warm soapy water, especially around the valve. Happened to my truck when I first bought it, just cleaned the cap and it was good to go.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, thanks guys, will save some worry. Will take a look and clean the cap to test it. Have to make a fuel trip into town and will see what it looks like from that trip.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok there was definite suction when I unscrewed the cap. The hose expanded open a bit but not fully. Coolant level is about half way up the reservoir. I will check it when in town after it has sat for a few minutes turned off. Hopefully that is it. Hate to start off on a trip wondering. Might pick up a new cap just in case, but I did the hot soapy water thing as well.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
After sitting overnight and the top is collapse....there's absolutely nothing to worry about that would happen out on the open road for a trip.

I once had the same thing, replaced the cap, still had it. When the water pump went, I replaced all of the rad hoses and I've never seen it since.

Weak old rubber hose suffering from E.D. :howdy

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well happy to report after giving the cap a good hot soapy bath, and a drive to town yesterday (25 miles one way) and home, checked yesterday, and this morning. Hose looks like it is supposed to look. Thanks for the tip, one less thing to think about.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
My experience with a collapse upper hose.

My truck new after about only 5,000 miles started doing this with the top hose after setting overnight, dealer said this is normal on the duramax, I said BS.
I contacted Stant engineer he agreed with me that GM is always trying to pull this normal crap and suggested to replace the cap.
The hose was in like new condition with only about 5,000 miles on it.

I asked the dealer to replace it considering I only had about 5,000 miles on a new truck, he said since there's no trouble code coming up stating to replace the cap, so no.'dunno; considering there's no sensor on the cap.
I then went in to the parts department and bought a new cap at the dealer $10, problem was solved.

I waited one week then went back into the parts department, told them the cap that I just bought last week was defective, they gave me another new cap, no charge.
It's still in my center console from 2007.
There's always a way to skin a cat when they try to skin/screw you.:thumb

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol normally I don't condone what you did, BUT considering the dealer SHOULD have replaced it under warranty, or at least tried, I wholeheartedly agree with what you did. Perfect would have been a refund.

Now you need to bill GM for the book labor rate, since you did thecwork.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Do on to others as they attempt to do on to you:wink2:
Matthew 7:12

1 - 11 of 11 Posts