Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any pics would be appreciated if you're running one.

Im really wanting to pick up a Norstar SR or SF type bed but have a few questions.

Wondering how they ended up with the cargo camera vs. headacherack? did it make the camera unusable?
Backup Cameras in the tailgate?
Is there anything that needs to be done by a dealer to keep the truck happy?

Im going to be putting it on a 2021 3500 LTZ, Single Rear Wheel

Thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
When it's a factory bed delete:

ZW9 Pickup bed, delete, includes capped fuel fill, (SFW) Back-up alarm calibration, (9J4) rear bumper delete, (9L3) spare tire delete and spare tire carrier delete. Deletes (SAF) tire carrier lock, standard tailgate and (A60) locking tailgate
1 - Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels.
2 - Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels. Not available with (CWM) Technology Package.
1 - WT and LT
2 - LTZ
N/A on HC

·
Registered
3 Posts
When it's a factory bed delete:

ZW9Pickup bed, delete, includes capped fuel fill, (SFW) Back-up alarm calibration, (9J4) rear bumper delete, (9L3) spare tire delete and spare tire carrier delete. Deletes (SAF) tire carrier lock, standard tailgate and (A60) locking tailgate
1 - Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels.
2 - Requires long bed model and 17" or 18 " wheels. Not available with (CWM) Technology Package.
1 - WT and LT
2 - LTZ
N/A on HC
What's the 'credit' they give you?

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
That bed looks like a CM bed we get here in Texas. All of my trucks were and are C&C trucks (except the 1500 HC) and the camera I mounted in the headache rack. The C&C trucks come with the long harness and camera as loose equipment and plug in at the rear crossmember connector that is used for a tailgate camera on a pickup.
One thing to remember is that most flats have a shiny finish- great to watch your cargo make believe its an ice sled. Have it Rhino/Linex sprayed. Toolboxes are an option on the beds and normally welded on.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have the truck back later today and will update what we came up with

whats a basically brand new long bed off an LTZ worth? trucks got 3000 miles on it

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, sounds like the only issue we are having at the moment is that when you hit the blinker it pops up an error message on the dash, then goes away once the blinker is shut off

suggestions?

hopefully the dealer can/is willing to flash it to fix the issue?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Are the taillights on the new bed LED? May need to wire in a resistor for the blinkers. Do you have hyperflash?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes they are LED, i am getting the hyperflash. whats the info on the resistor?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Get the dealer to comply with tech bulletin 81d. It reprograms the bcm for the exact problem you have.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
The resistor crap works on the older trucks because of the current draws on bulbs/flashers and no bcm controlling almost everything

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sambor, Thank you! thats describes exactly what i need. I called two local dealers and neither were of any help. I hope if i provide them this they can get it done. Is this something they should charge for?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up the truck last night and brought it home, didnt have time to do anything other than park it and go inside.

I wanted the bed to remain as low as possible on the truck frame, so it didnt have a big god awful space and the headache rack stayed low and in line with the cab.

That however made my 37's very close to the "skirting' of the bed, so we will probably trim a little half moon deal into the bed this weekend to allow for more clearance. Unloaded shouldn't be a problem, but i also have airbags to install tonight so when its loaded down i wont have to worry about it.

I had them put the 110 plug in the drivers side box on the truck, which will be handy to me more-so than on the back.

the tailgate camera on the back, and light are in line above the license plate similar to stock and still seem to function well and have adequate view for hooking up to a trailer.

Backup sensors are also installed(need painted black instead of silver) and seem to be a little more sensitive because they are pointed out a bit more than before.

the camera on the third brake light up top worked out so it sits right under the headache rack and still gets a good view of the bed and behind, not blocked too much.

all of the auto tailgate stuff is hidden up inside between the frame rails by the spare, and on the drive home didnt give any fits.

Still working on the dealer to get the BCM flash done, they seemed receptive to it when i called back with the service bulletin Sambor gave me. We'll find out Monday.

only other thing i noticed is that when i hit the blinkers i got hyperflash and a warning on the dash, but also it kicked on the side view cameras under the mirrors like when i have a trailer hooked up? We'll see if the BCM flash helps with that, or i will dig in further later. Suggestions on that topic?

Sorry im writing a book here but I have put in the footwork for everyone so im trying to compile what i can.

I promised some pics so here are a few, i will get some better ones later after i get home and unload the stock bed.

IT LOOKS B!TCHIN, IM STOKED

Attachments

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
IIRC the side cameras do come on when you use a turn signal. I might be mistaken but a friend of mine has a '21 and I think that was what his did.
Glad the cameras worked out. The one in the rack is handy to hook up a goose. Are you going to install any underbed boxes?
By the way , IF when you refuel it spits back at you check the small vent hose that runs next to the big hose to make sure it isn't kinked- tank won't vent so it spits out the filler- on you. Bed installers are good at not trimming the
hoses to fit the bed.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
IIRC the side cameras do come on when you use a turn signal. I might be mistaken but a friend of mine has a '21 and I think that was what his did.
Glad the cameras worked out. The one in the rack is handy to hook up a goose. Are you going to install any underbed boxes?
By the way , IF when you refuel it spits back at you check the small vent hose that runs next to the big hose to make sure it isn't kinked- tank won't vent so it spits out the filler- on you. Bed installers are good at not trimming the
hoses to fit the bed.
I think it's the trailering app turns on the camera's when the blinkers are active.
At least mine only does that with a trailer connected. All the trailers I pull have been setup in the app.

Reactions: sambor
1 - 16 of 16 Posts