Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 3500HD CC -ordering
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to order a truck but I haven't found the ideal flatbed. I'm ordering a 3500 Diesel Crew cab Chassis Cab (Chevy or GMC, doesn't matter to me)

We want the above because we want to take our toys with us while camping (with a TT) and want to take 1 truck. We've looked at toy haulers but up here they are just thrashed on the used market. Currently we just have wheelers but eventually will add sleds(snowmachines/mobiles). So what that means is I need a 8' wide flatbed 2-3 weekends a month for 5 months currently but once we have sleds it will be 9-10 months. We don't want to do a sleddeck on top of a regular bed due to how tall truck beds are now.

So my ideal flatbed would be something that can convert from 80" wide to a 96" wide for those weekends, also needs some toolboxes below the bed. Anyone have any thoughts/leads on where to get such a beast? I am really trying to avoid getting a dually if at all possible.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,879 Posts
If you're planning to load that much weight on the flatbed on a regular basis, a dually is going to be the best fit, I'm afraid. You can plan on 500 lbs per sled, so that's 1000 lbs if you take two. Plus the weight of the toolboxes and tools, fuel, gear, etc., plus adding the tongue weight of the trailer behind you.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I've had flatbeds for 20 years.. Never seen or heard of one that converts length or width. CM, Knapheid, Western Hauler all make nice beds and you can order them with whatever boxes you want.
I have to agree with Melonhead-- for that weight you will need a dually. The flatbeds are pretty heavy by themselves unless you get one of the aluminum versions. Personally, I don't care for those for heavy loads or sliding loads across them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I agree. I've had a few flatbeds, done a lot of shopping for flatbeds and I've never seen anything like you described either. Sounds like it might have to be custom, then you're probably talking some pretty big bucks.

A few good beds mentioned in the previous post. I might also add Bradford Built. Don't know where you're from or if they're available in your area or not. They're similar to a CM but considerably cheaper. I got stares and compliments on mine all over the nation. I had the 4 corner boxes and skirting. The only thing I held against it was the boxes were small and leaked. Depending on what you want to put in them, may not be a big issue though. I don't think box leaks are uncommon regardless of brand.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
All my boxes have leaked. If I could get paid for all the weatherstrip and time I spent on them I'd be way ahead.
They all still leaked

The beds I listed are basically what is available in my neck of the woods and I agree CM is high but WH beds come gold played.

·
Registered
2022 3500HD CC -ordering
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the responses, I figured what I wanted was a custom job. My husband has a friend who fabricates darn near anything, but I think he mostly works in aluminum. I like the idea of aluminum because rust isn't an issue. I'm in Alaska, and it seems everything rusts :( But I'm also not sold on aluminum because they aren't as durable

Leaky boxes are supper annoying! The work truck I used in a previous job had leaky boxes, you'd think with as much as these things cost that they wouldn't leak. Mostly, I plan to put road safety items in the boxes (ratchet straps, tow straps, jumper cables etc.) but I do need one box big enough to hold a 1-3 ton floor jack, because you never know when you need to change a tire.

I have calculated that I need 4000lbs of payload(not including the flatbed) which is on the conservative side (kids, dogs, our not-thin selves, gear, wheelers/sleds, and the hitch weight of our TT) and gives some leeway in weight I'm not accounting for. That definitely puts us in dually territory if I just do a box delete on a standard truck. I cant find the specs on a Chassis Cab, but I was hoping I might get lucky with that IF I could find my ideal bed. I'm ordering my truck out of Idaho, so I assume that all bed manufacturers will be available to pick from.

I definitely appreciate the responses and insight!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts