Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage of putting a Flatbed on Single Rear wheel truck instead of a dually truck or just having a regular box?

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
Yes. I am honestly thinking of putting one on mine. So much nicer to pull a fifth wheel with and to load things on

AutoGuide

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have seriously though about it on mine because i feed hay out of the back of my truck quite often.. easier to laod and you cant tear it up!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
A flatbed makes the truck MUCH more useful. You get more space, easier loading/unloading and much better turning & hookup ease plus you can drop a G/N lower to improve mpg.
BUT: be careful of weight when putting a steel bed on a SRW, especially a 2500.
Works better on a DRW, I think.

·
Registered
891 Posts
They look stupid on srw trucks imo. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, you normally see it done to trucks that were wrecked and the owner was too broke to put a real bed back on.

That being said, show me a pic of a good looking one and ill eat my words. lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
They look stupid on srw trucks imo. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, you normally see it done to trucks that were wrecked and the owner was too broke to put a real bed back on.

That being said, show me a pic of a good looking one and ill eat my words. lol
Lol, I don't know where you are at, but the type of flatbeds you see around here, are the Hydraulic beds that cost $5000-$7000+.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what is driving me nuts. I'm looking at expanding my fleet and I really love my dually flatbed but I wanted something a little smaller. So I thought of a ton srw. Then I thought that a flatbed would allow more work to be done with it. But then when I think of spending that much money I might as well get another dually with a flatbed. Anyone have more advise?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put a short flatbed on mine and it turned out super sexy. They make life just easier. Srw will hold a steel flatbed just fine. Maybe some airbags if it gets too heavy

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,952 Posts
Flatbeds are really handy if you use your truck for work. I like them because it gives you a good platform to build on. Most flatbed trucks I have had were really handy for loading material, and really versitile for tool storage options.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like the functionality of a flatbed but if you have a use for it the short side utility beds are nice too. A flat bed IMO makes a long bed truck look shorter, but the short bed flat beds look kinda funny to me though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had an F350 I put a flat bed on and I just converted to a dually since it was already a ton truck plus I too really dislike the srw flat bed look just my .02

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got quoted $3700 for the flat bed I want to put on the 2004 Crew cab short bed 2500 I'm looking at by SAWCO here in Lubbock on Friday. Fully skirted with quad tool boxes, dove tail, headache rack, LEDs, g/n cover plate, 4" side walls woking their way down to the dove tail. Good deal considering I gain bed space, have an integrated rear bumper, get a gooseneck, a class V bumper hitch, full LED lighting, integrated headache rack. All of that for the box that's on the truck right now would cost right around $3000, plus I would loose bed space due to the tool box.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They make your truck 10 times more usefull,I have a removable boom crane bolts to the bed pockets and can easyly swing 1500+lb items onto my truck all alone.It is by far the best upgrade Iv done to my truck.I got an aluminum flatbed and it wieghs 20lbs more that the factory bed.The biggest thing is most flatbeds are made for chassis cabs and they have 34" frame rails pick ups are diffrent and need a crossmember added so theres a space under the bed that makes most headboards stick up above the cab and become a wind dam.I had mine custom made to fit pickup rails.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I personally think srw look stupid with flat beds. I put my on being the fenders where beat. Anyone ever price a regular bed? You'll have like 10k in one to replace the sides and paint them. I didn't even pay that much for my truck so I wasn't about to put that into it. 2800 for my rugby steel with led hazards in the head rest. Installed

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your looking for a new bed, try a farmer. You can usually pickup a new OEM bed for $800. The reason being, a lot of them buy 3/4 tons and throw flat beds on them...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have a contractor that works for me that has a 10 CTD DRW and came with a flat bed, he lives in his 5er and travels all over. he loves it (the flat bed) not the truck. hahaha

·
Registered
21 Posts
People have told me why put such a heavy bed on a 3/4 ton or a SWR. What they fail to realize, with today's diesels, a 3/4 ton and 1 ton frame are identical. Usually (I know some GM 3/4 tons have 14 bolt rears) the rear axle is identical as well. Example, my father's 5.9 3/4 ton has a Dana 80...which is what the 1 ton singles and duallies use, only difference between his and a 1 ton are springs.

Secondly, yes it may add weight to the truck but it actually puts the frame under less stress when your pulling a gooseneck. Majority of the flat beds keep the kingpin in line with the frame rails where it couples with the coupler. Where with a regular bed, the kingpin couples about 6" above the frame rails. Say you have 20kip pressing on the coupler. That's 10,000 lb-ft of torque that the hitch has to distribute to the frame rails in such a way that the frame rails can dissipate the torque. Now with a flatbed with the a drop kingpin, you nearly eliminate the torque when the system is in line with the frame rails to begin with meaning that the system will actually be much stronge (and therefore safer).

·
Registered
53 Posts
bump anyone have flatbed on SRW Duramax 2500

1 - 20 of 38 Posts