Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted before because I read everyone of them. I am confused. My truck, my signature, which is the fluid I should use. I do tow my 5ther in my signature. No Amsoil please.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'd go with DEX6 if you are going to stick with close inspection and regular change intervals...say 20k miles and spin on every other oil change.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Since you have the 5spd anything that meets DEXIII or DEXVI will work, as for a brand, just pick what you want, no use turning this into an amsoil vs the world thread.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Here you go:

TES 295 Approved Fluids

When seeking a fluid for your Allison transmission that is TES 295 approved do not fall to the claims of some companies that claim that their product is TES 295 approved. The statements infer that these products "are designed to meet", "are equivalent to", "meet or exceed", etc. When determining whether or not a fluid is TES 295 approved, look and/or ask for one of two things:

The Allison TES 295 approval number
The Allison Approved logo
TES 295 Approval Number Approved Marketer Product Brandname
AN-011001 Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants TranSynd
AN-031002 BP Autran Syn 295
AN-031003 Cognis Corporation Emgard 2805
AN-031004 International Truck & Engine Company Fleetrite Synthetic ATF
AN-051005 ExxonMobil Lubricants and Petroleum Specialties Company Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF
AN-071006 John Deere & Company HD SynTran

TES 295 Approved Fluids: Fluids: Service: Allison Transmission

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I put XXX.......brand dex 6 in mine,but like he said^^^lets keep it on what to put in,NOT what brand name you like.I'd just put in whatever it had in it,no use making things difficult:drink

·
Waldo
788 Posts
I run Dex 6. I flush every 20k, and change spin on filter every 10k. I pull a 5er comparable size to yours.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
ben,

What is the reasoning behind that? Just curious!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you have the 5spd anything that meets DEXIII or DEXVI will work, as for a brand, just pick what you want, no use turning this into an amsoil vs the world thread.
That's why I stated no Amsoil please. The serial # in the allison pdf confused me. Didn't know what year that effected.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put XXX.......brand dex 6 in mine,but like he said^^^lets keep it on what to put in,NOT what brand name you like.I'd just put in whatever it had in it,no use making things difficult:drink
I have no idea what's in it. Bought used. That's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ben,

What is the reasoning behind that? Just curious!
I really am jsut going by what I heard (well read) like I said, I was jsut throwing it out for thought. I forgotten the whole reasoning behind it but IIRC it was something about the soft clutches and steels in the stock trucks wearing into eachother. and the synthetics will kinda keep the tougher aftermarket cluthes from actually clutching or something like that.

I'm really sorry I dont have a better answer I'm just going off of memory from a thread on another site

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Basically synthetic keeps the steels from welding to the clutches in stock form, but that extra fuild capabilties of synthetic in the aftermarket trans is not needed because of the tougher material and is a waste of money. Thats my take on it

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Thanks,

I need to think about that for awhile. I guess it is very possible.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
That's why I stated no Amsoil please. The serial # in the allison pdf confused me. Didn't know what year that effected.
Serial number can be found on the passenger side of the trans towards the rear of the "case" which is the center section. its right above the exhaust hanger and right behind the PTO cover and right below the vent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.