Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some kind of leak from under truck. i crawled under and it is more on the passenger side. possibly tranny cooler lines, but there is kind of a mess around there with some what appears to be an oil leak also. im having a tough time pinpointing it. also when i shine the light up into the area i see a little smoke or haze like im burning the fluid leak off or something. any idea on how i can pinpoint the problem. it is not a large leak, fluid levels are still good, and maybe a 2 or 3 inch spot after 4 or 5 days. any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would try to wash that area up a bit using some kind of grease cutter like Purple Power, so that you can narrow it down a bit. Leaks can be deceptive especially when put the wind factor in as your driving down the road. I had to deal with that on a Power Steering leak myself. Also any leak on the passenger side will probably get on your exhaust as i did on mine. Not much help, but I would defiantly clean it up a bit. Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cooler lines are known to leak so if they have never been replaced that might be the problem. Is the oil/fluid red like tranny fluid? If so I would start there.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
yeah I have the same leak I'm pretty sure.

though I thought it was tranny lines too....but it looks more like oil and for the life of me can't find where it is coming from.

You can see it on pics on the DIY page for the block heater.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yea Im pretty sure the tranny cooler lines leaking are just the 6speeds

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it looks like oil, but i sure cant see the source. i was thinking tranny lines leaking and just getting mixed up with the old stains and what not on the crossmember and i think steering parts. i wiped things down pretty good before i left a couple of hours ago and now i dont see any drips or anything. would the tranny lines leak if the truck isnt running?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you sure it's not from the breather tube? I suddenly developed a leak yesterday in my 2001... I'm afraid it's injectors from what I read. It was a little hard to tell where the oily liquid was coming from, but it seemed to be from the breather tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts