Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the USAF museum in Dayton, OH. If you have never been it is a trip well worthwhile. If you go, plan on spending the entire day.
My favorite aircraft there are the B-36, XB-70 and the SR-71. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
that was AWESOME thank you!!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The "X" hanger used to be beyond incredible. No guards, no docents, no ropes.... they would drive out out in a van, drop you off, and come back in a hour. It's just me, and some incredible artifacts......

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow, looks like a heckuva place. Wish the wife and I had found it last August when we had most of a day to kill in Ohio on vacation. Somehow it wasn't even on our radar. Oh, and one more vote for the Blackbird, still the most awesome aircraft ever built.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I was there about 5 years ago, amazing place!! I missed seeing my two favorites though, the mighty B-52 (worked on the bomb/nav computers and radar in the '60s, Strategic Air Command) and the B-17 Flying Fortress ( I am currently helping to restore a B-17 G back to flying condition).

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, you do have some "special" connections! (y)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been to the one in Seattle a couple times and now I HAVE to go there! Fantastic video!

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Castle Air Museum located near Merced CA has a B-36, Sr-71, B-29, B-17, B-50,B-52, B-57 Canberra, Vulcan and a whole bunch more rare birds and they have an RV park on site.. They are all outdoors, but still amazing to see if they ever open Cali up again.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shout out for the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. And yes "membership" does have its privileges sometimes. We went with my wife's great uncle who was a docent for the museum. He got us up into the cockpit of the Spruce Goose. Pix of my daughter and I. It was quite a feeling to sit in the seat where ol Howard had sat 2/3 of a century prior when the big wooden bird lifted off of the water.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Yes, the Evergreen Air & Space Museum is well worth seeing! I live about 30 miles down the road, at 7S5. We used to be members years ago, really enjoyed it. A good friend of mine, Paul Payne was in charge of putting the "Goose" in place and prepping it for display. He is a docent at the B-17 Alliance Museum in Salem these days, amazing guy, still pretty active at 95! I wish Evergreen had been able to keep some of the warbirds they sold, but I think they went to good homes. Hoping to see "Shady Lady" fly again with the Collings Foundation, saw her flying several times in 1990.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,297 Posts
"ho hum....need some fuel"

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
'nother airplane story to enjoy- SR71 LA speed check, Brian Schul....

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never heard it. That's funny, I got a good laugh out of that one at the end of a long day. The anticipation keeping me waiting was what really made it fun since you could smell what was coming almost from the very beginning. Too bad the Blackbird was ONLY doing about Mach 3. Think how badly they would have blistered everyone else if they'd really had her wound up! The poor Hornet guys, calling in to shame the little guys when they were only doing Mach 1 themselves. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
370 Posts
So, ah, Bob - how do I get into that hanger? Love to see that Valkrie! Pictures of your kids are priceless! Is that your son sitting in the business end of a J58?

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,876 Posts
SR-71 is really special. Leaks sitting on the tarmac until it heats up from atmospheric friction. Still a record holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
SR-71 is really special. Leaks sitting on the tarmac until it heats up from atmospheric friction. Still a record holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah ain't that something? Such an incredible aircraft and at quite a price for the time, and we couldn't figure out how to keep them from leaking fuel when they were sitting parked. But for something that actually is faster than a speeding bullet, I'll give it one mulligan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always been fascinated by the SR-71. Was it more of an aircraft or more of a space ship? I am still amazed the commies were able to shoot the one down. I'm pretty sure they were more than just a bit upset that there wasn't enough left by the time it arrived on earth to be able to reverse engineer the thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts