Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GMC Sierra CC SRW LB
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bounceing around on different web sites so I can't remember where I heard it. but this one site said that GM is dumping the 10 speed Ford -GM 10 speed Allison trans as they are having alot of failures. and that their going to switch to a 8 speed trans anybody else heard anything about that are the 10 speeds blowing up are what?

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,818 Posts
There was a thread on here recently where a couple members were debating about the new trans, and GM's official word was that the 10sp collaboration with Ford is on the half ton trucks and is a different platform than the one in the Duramax platform. So maybe they're referring to the trans in the half tons?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I was bounceing around on different web sites so I can't remember where I heard it. but this one site said that GM is dumping the 10 speed Ford -GM 10 speed Allison trans as they are having alot of failures. and that their going to switch to a 8 speed trans anybody else heard anything about that are the 10 speeds blowing up are what?
Just the opposite actually. I go to the biggest Chevy dealer in the country and last month when I asked last month if any of the new 10 speeds were coming back with issues. The service director and my SA who I have had for over 20 years said no not at all. Taking my 2020 in next week--already time for a tranny oil change. The internet is a funny place for information--lots of garbage out there. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is a link to a GM Video with the "Assistant Chief Engineer" talking about the 10L1000 Transmission, not to be confused with the 1/2 ton 10 speeds that were built in collaboration with Ford. He talks about this at 2:20 into the video.
And additional information on both Ford and GM / Allison 10 speeds used in 3/4 and 1 ton applications and it says in both of these links that GM and Ford did not collaborate on these transmissions.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just the opposite actually. I go to the biggest Chevy dealer in the country and last month when I asked last month if any of the new 10 speeds were coming back with issues. The service director and my SA who I have had for over 20 years said no not at all. Taking my 2020 in next week--already time for a tranny oil change. The internet is a funny place for information--lots of garbage out there. :)
Abraham Lincoln once said "Everything you read on the internet is true". I read that somewhere! :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,818 Posts
Abraham Lincoln once said "Everything you read on the internet is true". I read that somewhere! :sneaky:
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven’t heard of one 10 speed ford or gm trans failing yet.
No, not outright failures under stock applications. It looks to me based on my own research that the issues owners are reporting are related to electrical control not hard part failures. When emissions are deleted and HP is increased then, the trouble begins. The aftermarket has their work cut out on these transmissions as they are so different and the machinery required to make parts is very expensive and unique.
Of course, time will tell but if yours has completely failed and needed an overhaul or replacement and your truck is stock please let us know and please include the details.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
There have been failures stock. We have already built a converter for them and have a valve body kit . This will not be a DIY trans. I don't think many shop will even touch this trans. The smallest mistake will cost thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There have been failures stock. We have already built a converter for them and have a valve body kit . This will not be a DIY trans. I don't think many shop will even touch this trans. The smallest mistake will cost thousands of dollars.
Okay, here is a little information of value with regard to the 10L1000. Any one else experienced a complete failure? We will certainly learn more about this transmission in the coming months / years. Since I have one I obviously hope they are decent. I imagine that most are still under warranty so it may be a while before we really know.

·
Registered
2019 LTZ
94 Posts
Here is a link to a GM Video with the "Assistant Chief Engineer" talking about the 10L1000 Transmission, not to be confused with the 1/2 ton 10 speeds that were built in collaboration with Ford. He talks about this at 2:20 into the video.
And additional information on both Ford and GM / Allison 10 speeds used in 3/4 and 1 ton applications and it says in both of these links that GM and Ford did not collaborate on these transmissions.

Great video here. What is the PTO used for ..? I don’t mean to sound stupid but I’m just not aware of the need..?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
@Millsrv ,
Do you realize that @Mike L. is the Mike L of inglewood transmissions? The guy wrote the book on "built" Allison transmissions. He is also the same gentlemen who was first to tear apart the new 10 speed.
From the beginning of your tenure here, you've been very hard on people saying the new 10 speed is a cooperative design with Ford. Mike has provided the community inside information that it is.
I've sat on the sidelines now for a bit, and I'm calling you out now respectfully. Posting marketing Youtube videos is not the same as the inside info Mike has given us.
If Mike says stock transmissions under stock power levels have failed, then consider him an expert in the field.
I challenge you to provide expert info the new 10 speed is a unique GM design. Until that time, I'll take Mike for his word.

Reactions: APPPQs

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and good for you on taking Mike's word. If being hard on people by pointing out my sources for information then I suppose you are right. I do not have to prove anything nor do I care if you or anyone else believes what I post or not. I am simply showing my sources of information and what I believe to be true. Just because I have never heard of Mike L. or Inglewood Transmissions is fine I will take his "expert information" as valued also, this is how I do my research. This is not a game of who is right or wrong, it is simply information.

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
Ok, fair enough. I think I also read too much into your last post as well. Too much coffee. My apologies...

All and all, it is unfortunate as to some of the design decisions of this new transmission. Performing a fluid change is no longer a straightforward process. I know they had to make a new one at some point, but give us the ability to service it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, fair enough. I think I also read too much into your last post as well. Too much coffee. My apologies...

All and all, it is unfortunate as to some of the design decisions of this new transmission. Performing a fluid change is no longer a straightforward process. I know they had to make a new one at some point, but give us the ability to service it.
No Apology Necessary, I completely understand. Look, our goal here is to try and understand what we have and learn. As far as I am concerned you bring to light a new source (for me anyway) of Mike's information as an expert. That is great and I will learn more. Thank you for understanding my view and methods for learning.

·
Super Moderator
2,818 Posts
THIS is my gripe with the new trans. I know the reasoning is that it isn't intended to be serviced often, so there wasn't much reason to make it easy to service. But it feels like they are getting into the territory of making it deliberately difficult to be serviced by the average owner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
THIS is my gripe with the new trans. I know the reasoning is that it isn't intended to be serviced often, so there wasn't much reason to make it easy to service. But it feels like they are getting into the territory of making it deliberately difficult to be serviced by the average owner.
Let's find out how to correctly service it and then it may not seem so daunting. My 07 Tacoma has a similar trans with no dipstick and there is lots of information on how to service it. I believe that in time there will also be information on the 10L1000 also.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
The last true Allison "built" transmission was the 6spd in the GMT-800 platform that ended in 2007. The GMT-900 platform (2007.5+) are Allison 1000's built by GM at their transmission factory under license by Allison.
The new 10spd is Allison branded only. Nothing in the 10spd was built or designed by Allison per
Mike L....

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they go back to the 8 speed in the half ton better beware! I had the 8 spd behind the 6.2 420hp, 460 ft lb in a 2015 1500 and had two trannies and one torque converter while under warranty. Sold it and got the 2020 2500 Duramax Allison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts