Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1352 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just wonder if there will ever be a Transynd for the new 10 speed Allison as it is called???? I kind of doubt it being it is new but who knows maybe this light weight fluid is the future as new transmission designs are moving to it now.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Draining a few gallons of new synthetic fluid to put in a few gallons of new synthetic fluid seems like a waste to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The new 10 speed is a Ford trans. Follow their recommendations.
LOL you are a funny guy! :grin2: That was a good one!

Yes am aware of the "Branding" controversy and have read many articles on how the new transmission was built by GM in house with the very limited participation of Allison. With Ford and GM going with the new ULV fluid that is very thin just wondered if the heavy duty transmissions built by the likes of Allison would be following suit with backwards compatibility to the fluid they would use to the GM 10 speeds.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I wasn't kidding. I have 2 of these torn down sitting in my shop. This is the same trans Ford and GM colaborated on ( which Ford took the lead on ) and they made it twice as big. There is no info as yet, so I am using the 10R80 Ford repair manual to identify parts. The torque converter is a Ford 6R140. Sorry if I burst some bubbles here.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
What I found different going from Dex VI to Transynd was my wallet was much lighter.
I found no differences with how my trans shifted or cooler trans temps, nada.
I was even considering going back to Dex VI when it was in for issues just recently, wire rubbing and shorting out on the outside taking out the shift solenoid and a few more internal electrical parts.

If they’d thrown out the transynd, Dex VI was going back in.
It was just serviced doing the repairs but had to pull the pan again trying to finger out the problem, still setting a code and not shifting.

It’s obvious I’ve had this going on slowly for a while how long 'dunno; doing the Allison deep pan, Trans Go Jr and Transynd 2011 & M L trans cooler 2013 with no improvements with trans temps at all.
Now it’s running much cooler. 0:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wasn't kidding. I have 2 of these torn down sitting in my shop. This is the same trans Ford and GM colaborated on ( which Ford took the lead on ) and they made it twice as big. There is no info as yet, so I am using the 10R80 Ford repair manual to identify parts. The torque converter is a Ford 6R140. Sorry if I burst some bubbles here.
Don't worry about busted bubbles.

Is there a place I can read up on this? You've got my curiosity up.

Bob Anderson
From my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,320 Posts
Various publications have gone into it recently....mainly two competitors teamed up to share development costs for a new design to help meet the ever tightening EPA demands for efficiency and emissions.

Twice the size....must be massive.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
What I found different going from Dex VI to Transynd was my wallet was much lighter.
I found no differences with how my trans shifted or cooler trans temps, nada.
I was even considering going back to Dex VI when it was in for issues just recently, wire rubbing and shorting out on the outside taking out the shift solenoid and a few more internal electrical parts.

If they’d thrown out the transynd, Dex VI was going back in.
It was just serviced doing the repairs but had to pull the pan again trying to finger out the problem, still setting a code and not shifting.

It’s obvious I’ve had this going on slowly for a while how long 'dunno; doing the Allison deep pan, Trans Go Jr and Transynd 2011 & M L trans cooler 2013 with no improvements with trans temps at all.
Now it’s running much cooler. 0:)
I didn't understand any of this.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Various publications have gone into it recently....mainly two competitors teamed up to share development costs for a new design to help meet the ever tightening EPA demands for efficiency and emissions.

Twice the size....must be massive.
Ford calls it 10R 140 and GM calls it 10L 1000. It's big. I think it weighs more than the Allison. This will not be a DIY trans.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guess I've been living under a rock. There's quite a few articles at least all the way back to 2016.

But what I'm understanding, is that it will still be called an "Allison". since there will be Allison parts in it.

Am I correct?

Bob Anderson

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
A couple of weeks ago putting it in reverse there was a long delay then the truck lunged in reverse.
Limped with trouble code P0700, TCM code P0752 wouldn’t move until I cleared the codes.
They came right back.
Got it in the trans shop with all the diagnostics and checking out everything they found issues after dropping the pan, wire Harness, SWITCH,TRANSMISSION FLUID PRESSURE VALVE,SHIFT SOLENOID(W/PRESS SWITCH) VALVE,PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID all needed replaced burnt areas on most of the parts from apparently shorting out.

After replacing everything it still had problems setting off the same codes and limp.
After testing all parts they tested good and functioning, they started working backwards checking electrical from inside out.

They found one wire on the outside wire harness going to the trans, a bare wire arching on the under carriage somewhere with burnt mark in that area.
Cut out the bad section replaced with a new section of wire, taped it up, put more wire loom around the wires, started the truck, no more codes and now drives, shifts like it should.

I’ve been having hotter trans temps this summer, from the looks of this, this has been slowly going on for a while, how long 'dunno;, don’t know if this had anything to do with the hotter temps but it’s running cooler than it has for quiet sometime since it’s been fixed.

That’s the best I can explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
What year is your truck. You mentioned 2011, 2013 and Transgo s/k. That's where you threw me as Transgo is not compatable on the Alli after 2010.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Guess I've been living under a rock. There's quite a few articles at least all the way back to 2016.

But what I'm understanding, is that it will still be called an "Allison". since there will be Allison parts in it.

Am I correct?

Bob Anderson
No.
There are no Allison parts in it. There were some changes made by one of the top Allison engineers to the valve body and maybe a couple of other minor things. I was told by him to get the Ford repair manual to get the info I needed.
There is a lot of BS on the internet. These people know nothng. We are working on valve body kit right now and I will be working with Alto clutches to help them develop HP clutches.
This Ford thing was just as big of surprise to me as it is for you guys.
I believe it's going to be a great trans when all is said and done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No.

There are no Allison parts in it. There were some changes made by one of the top Allison engineers to the valve body and maybe a couple of other minor things. I was told by him to get the Ford repair manual to get the info I needed.

There is a lot of BS on the internet. These people know nothng. We are working on valve body kit right now and I will be working with Alto clutches to help them develop HP clutches.

Sounds like it.

I'm looking forward to the 10 speed when I have to replace my LLY.

Bob Anderson

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
What year is your truck. You mentioned 2011, 2013 and Transgo s/k. That's where you threw me as Transgo is not compatable on the Alli after 2010.
Signature 2007.5 LMM, had the transGo Jr and Allison deep pan installed in 2011.
Got ur trans cooler installed in 2013.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
No.
This is all news to me. There goes one of the main advantages GM had. Maybe some day they will all use the same drive train and then all that will be left between them is the styling. If the latest Silverado is any indication perhaps GM should then leave the truck market and concentrate on cars like Ford has left the car market to concentrate on trucks.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,320 Posts
The 10R140 is not the same transmission as the 10L1000 not even close.

:teehee
So, you have two opened up in your shop?
or...maybe just one?

1321 - 1340 of 1352 Posts