Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original thread with the full story of the problem was posted a couple weeks ago under "P0087 when under load going up mountains".

I FOUND A FIX FOR THE PROBLEM-COST ME $50 IN PARTS, LESS THAN AN HOUR OF MY OWN TIME, AND $30 FOR A TECHS ANSWER ON Ask Question & Experts Answer You ASAP! Name Your Price, Get Online Answers & Help - Just Answer!!!!!!! GM BULLETIN #PIP4526!!! Go to a GM dealer and ask them to print out this bulletin for you and do the repair. I had to order the hose (special kind) from a distributor of the supplier listed in the bulletin-$6 a foot x 3 ft (more than enough) + shipping, use standard hose clamps from a local autoparts store-2 clamps on each end of the hose.

When my husband got under the truck and looked at the section down by the tranny there were 2 spots in this 1.5 ft area that were soft and collapsed, replaced the section per the bulleting last night, went thru Jellico Mountain today with a camper like usual and the code DIDNT set.

What happens is after the hose gets good and hot (4-6 hrs driving), it softens and then collapses when you put the truck under pressure with a load---this cannot be duplicated in a shop with any testing due to special circumstances---unless someone is gonna hang underneath your truck while you drive down the road and watch to see if it collapses (LOL), which is why no one can figure out this problem. The $50 for the parts is worth the try...worked for us.

If anyone has any questions you can email me at "[email protected]"...I will be more than happy to help. I would like to thank Hal at Eisinger Chevrolet in Columbia Falls, Montana for leading me to this bulletin for the fix!!!

(this bulletin actually has pictures of where the hose sections are located but they wouldnt transfer onto here, so have a GM dealer print it out for you)

#PIP4526: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs - keywords DTC hose kink loss P0087 P0093 P1093 pipe power reduced repair restrict restriction SES suction supply vacuum - (Nov 7, 2008)

Subject: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LB7 LBZ LLY LMM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may need to perform a repair on the rubber portion of the fuel supply (suction) lines. The rubber section of the line could become kinked or collapse. Fuel lines that kink or collapse may induce a fuel system restriction (high vacuum gauge readings) or DTCs P0087, P0093, and/or P1093 to set.

If a technician was to suspect the rubber portion of the fuel feed line collapsing or kinking, replacement of only the rubber line is acceptable.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the steps below to repair the rubber section of fuel supply line:

Carefully cut, split, and remove the OEM crimp from both ends of the flexible hose. These crimps can be cut with a small cut-off wheel. Split the crimp into two pieces (use your discretion on first cut location, then cut directly across from, or 180 degrees from first cut). Special care must be taken not to damage the flare on the end of the steel pipe that will be reused.
Remove the OEM crimps and flexible portion of hose from the existing supply line.
If replacing the rubber section of the supply line, a 1/2 ID hose meeting SAE specification 100R3 is suggested. Dealers may be able to find a local supplier for this hose, or can contact the manufacturer Parker Hannifin. The replacement hose would be a 1/2" diameter Parker part number 601-8 or H017-8. To find a local distributor the Parker website can be accessed at Please wait while we redirect...
Use worm type hose clamps (use double clamps on each end) to attach the replacement hose to the existing pipe.
The locations of the flexible hoses are pictured below.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Never had this problem but its good to know for future references. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need Some Help with this!

For the past few weeks my truck (2006 LBZ) has been taking longer than normal time to start and has gotten worse in the past two days. Well two days ago under normal driving conditions (no load or anything) I get DTC P0087. Once the engine light was on i couldn't rev up more than 2k rpm (in park or while driving). i cleared the code with my tuner and not two seconds later it was back. at first i was thinking it was my fuel filter since it was about time to change it. Well i changed the fuel filter today and then went for a test run. I first cleared the code before taking off. once i got to not even half throttle the dtc was back. it feels like it's not getting enough fuel and is being restricted. when i got back i turned the truck off and when i started it back up it didn't take as long as it did before i changed the filter. also there is a little bit of black smoke coming out the exhaust when at idle. I have it on stock tune.

Could this be due to those hoses collapsing, bad injectors, bad fuel, or what? Can someone please give me some insight on this.:help

Performance mods: K&N Cold air intake, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, & Bullydog PMT

Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
609 Posts
bad fuel and a boofed WIF sensor did it to mine....i would try draining the tank, replacing the wif sensor and fuel filter...if not try the hoses, or hell try all the solutions....bad fuel caused my issue too....if you run bad fuel too long you take a chance on killing injectors.

·
Vanned this place
8,125 Posts
Glad I saw this. Havent thrown any code for a long time, then last 2 trips while pulling a trailer up hills truck threw the 0087. Just as you described, longer trip after pulling over 6 hours non stop and on hills. fuel temps at the time of the 0087 were 125+ so I know the fuel was warm. Sounds like I need to find some fuel line.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Thanks Henry!:drink
To the OP: NICE find........Thanks for posting the bulletin,I will surely do this fuel line mod since I have no lift pump.I am curious to see how much it will do before a DTC is set.I'll post up the numbers upon completion.:)

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
My line is still kinked at the top on the return side but im pumping alot of fuel so never noticed. Other then the high return pressure pushing the fuel line off the drive side fuel rail when I first installed the twin cp3 pumps. I just installed a extra line to let the fuel circle around then back to there I plan of taking all the factory lines off soon. And replace with -10 supply and -8 return.

·
Registered
4 Posts
maybe having same problem

I see your last post was the end of June. Is your truck doing ok? I am having the same problems in hot weather pulling loads. My 2006 LBZ has 86,000 miles. Do you think this would be covered under warranty? If not I will find the hose and do it myself.

thanks

·
Vanned this place
8,125 Posts
Don't know about the op, but since that trip where the truck kept throwing 87's I've kept my factory tank full when pulling and haven't had an issue again. I found the rubber line right before it goes into the filter was very soft. Warmed it up in the sink with hot water and it was softer. I ordered the parker line, it was about $4.30 at my local parker shop. Waiting on a couple other parts to show so I can install all at once

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, Ive had a couple of you email me with questions, which is great. I want to help all of you out with this problem so no one has to go thru the 4 months of agony we went thru trying to find a fix. I can tell all of you that a local diesel tech friend of mine has fixed 4 other trucks with same problem using this bulletin. Our truck however bit the dust 2nd week of July and was totalled---make sure your tranny & oil cooler lines are tight up at radiator area, one of ours blew off while driving on interstate and caught truck on fire, fire dept couldnt get there fast enough to save the truck. We have replaced it with a 2005 LLY, first thing we checked was the hose LOL. But the repair did fix the problem and had no problems at all up until the fire. Any of you who are transporters---GAP INSURANCE if you owe on your truck!!! The mileage we put on kills the cash value the insurance companies go by. Please feel free to continue to email me with questions, and updates if it also fixes your 0087 codes. I dont get on forum much but check my email daily thru the week. Good luck guys, & gals.
Alicia

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stepchild, makes a little sense that keeping tank full would help keep code from setting. The more fuel that is in the tank the cooler the fuel will be. The fuel that is returned from the injectors, which is hot, goes thru the fuel cooler before going back into fuel tank for reuse. But we all know that reality doesnt allow a transport driver to keep a full tank all the time, but you are correct and on the right track. Good luck with your hose repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something Id like to point out about this hose collapsing: you may not be able to SEE where the hose is collapsed. FEEL it, it is made of a hard plastic, if it is collapsing from the heated fuel, it will be soft in those areas. You will feel a difference in the hose. There are actually 3 places in the fuel line going from the tank to the engine that has this hose-1) at the fuel cooler 2) at bend at tranny 3)on driver side of engine. Check all 3 but for some reason the most common one collapsing is at the tranny.

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,289 Posts
Thanks Henry!:drink
To the OP: NICE find........Thanks for posting the bulletin,I will surely do this fuel line mod since I have no lift pump.I am curious to see how much it will do before a DTC is set.I'll post up the numbers upon completion.:)
Have you done this yet? If so has it cured the 0087 for you

·
Registered
421 Posts
most fuel lines will not take any biofuels it eats the fuel lines . most of are class 8 trucks run into this problem all the time. most fuels are bio they say it or not!!!!! nobody makes one that last yet..
this is true. i got my info from the chemist at gates rubber, and he said that their best quality hose for transfer, is getting ate up at teh bio fuel plants. the bio diesel is eating the rubber. it is a problem. the higher the bio, the worse it will be.

also on teh 0087 codes, we had 2 trucks giving it, tried the shim kit, with no luck, took it in for a lift pump, found that would not work, it was the cp3, 13000 psi instead of 25000 psi. but that did not help. turns out it was the fuel injectors leaking to the tank. there is a solinoid on the injectors and it was allowing fuel to go to the tank and cause low fuel rail pressure. got them replaced, and no more problems

·
Vanned this place
8,125 Posts
WOW. That parker fuel line is thick! It goes on a standard 1/2 inch barb ok. But I got A fuel cooler with "1/2 inch inlets". And it is TIGHT!!! I am now out of beer and only have the 2nd barb half covered. Tried heat. Tried soap

That hose is 1/2 inch I d and about 7/8ths OD. Seems about twice as thick as the stock hose

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The fuel cooler cools the surplus fuel---After it leaves the engine-- it is then returned to the fuel tank. The larger line is the fuel to the engine.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts