Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a clean used frame, but want to measure it before handing over the money. Anyone have a source or know what the dimensions are for a 03-07 gm frame? Where to measure?

Part # 15934368

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can get you something but the best rule of thumb would be to just square it up by cross measuring. Start with your bed mounts, then do the center, then the front. When you get into the change in heights in the front, it is difficult to get straight line access. Usually a tram gauge is what is used. Measurements will be in mm's also, so if you dont have a way to measure that then the specs wont do any good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get you something but the best rule of thumb would be to just square it up by cross measuring. Start with your bed mounts, then do the center, then the front. When you get into the change in heights in the front, it is difficult to get straight line access. Usually a tram gauge is what is used. Measurements will be in mm's also, so if you dont have a way to measure that then the specs wont do any good.
I have access to a tram but not quite sure how to use it to be honest. It'll be bare frame when I measure it so I just need to know what points to measure

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would keep it simple. Find all the mounting points for the bed, cab, and core support. That is the majority of the points used in measuring systems. Take a tape measure and go from center to center of each hole and compare to other side. Do both length down the rail and cross measure like an x. The length doesn't matter, as long as they are the same. Do it for the rear section, middle section, and front section. All mounting points for key caponents are symmetrical. If it's within 1/8 of inch great. It more then 1/4 could be damaged. Also inspect for visual damage, especially front and rear.

What is wrong with current frame?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would keep it simple. Find all the mounting points for the bed, cab, and core support. That is the majority of the points used in measuring systems. Take a tape measure and go from center to center of each hole and compare to other side. Do both length down the rail and cross measure like an x. The length doesn't matter, as long as they are the same. Do it for the rear section, middle section, and front section. All mounting points for key caponents are symmetrical. If it's within 1/8 of inch great. It more then 1/4 could be damaged. Also inspect for visual damage, especially front and rear.

What is wrong with current frame?
It was hit in the front drivers wheel at 30-40mph while my father was turning left. Camber and caster adjustment for the alignment are maxed and it's not aligned. I went to check the frame out yesterday morning and everything seemed good. Measured how you said and it all matched up. No visual damage either

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats great.

I dont know if you bought it already but that type of frame damage is very common. Most good body shops could pull that frame for 500ish dollars I bet. I have personally done atleast a dozen of them that would kink the frame rail right behind the suspension mounts. They are actually pretty weak there. Usually 4 hrs of work would have it fixed and aligned. My 05 duramax was hit hard as hell in the front passenger side frame to where the frame contacted the starter and downpipe. Pulled it all and measured it with frame machine and got it in spec. Furthest point is 5mm off. Also had to put front diff, and oil pan on it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts