Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys I was wondering whats the best method to paint my truck frame, it has some light surface rust.....any suggestions? like what grit or
style of paint?? :drink

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ive done this quite a good bit for my trucks and learned a few things but some of it comes down to personal preference.

If the rust and debris is not heavy then a good close cleaning with a pressure washer will do a good job to prepare the surface for paint. If the rust is heavy or some dirt or debris has been painted over in the past then some sanding may be necessary but otherwise, the pressure washing has done the job for me.

I used to use gloss black but i feel it has too much sheen to it and can attract too much attention to the frame and fender well and look tacky. I use a good semi gloss black and i think it looks the best. I tape up my shocks and any light colored part that i dont want the black overspray on because it will look junky with over spray on those type of parts.

I dont sand anything if it doesent have the painted over debris like i mentioned above and i have found the paint holds up very well with just a good pressure washing or scrub with an all purpose cleaner and brush or rag.

I also paint the rear axel and leaf springs and any parts you can see from the front side that are visible when looking at the truck head on.

I also choose to keep my exhaust scrubbed clean vs painting it because most paint will not hold up over time and will really make the visible part of the exhaust look bad. I like the clean aluminum finish on exhaust. I feel it provides a clean and like new factory appearance.

·
Registered
662 Posts
X2 what he said.. but i use rubberized undercoat/rock gaurd.. its black and paintable

·
Registered
8 Posts
por-15 chassis black, very expensive and people will argue how good it is, it has held up well on multiple vehicles for me after NY winters. I would start out with a qt, it covers very well.

·
Registered
962 Posts
All of the undercoating products are nice but they are expensive. After i experienced how well standard black spray paint holds up, i didnt see any reason to purchase the expensive coating products.

That said, for the first coat (frame and hard metal parts only) one of the under coating or rock guard products would be great and then over time, just clean it and use regular spray paint over that each time it needs to be touched up.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
im sandblasting mine this week, trucks getting painted in two weeks i want the frame perfect before its done, should i prime mine before i paint the frame or just shoot it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
if you take it to the metal, i would say a lite prime coat. I dont feel its necessary to take it to the metal though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
POR the best

·
Registered
839 Posts
I used duplicolor truck bed coating it worked really well

·
Registered
73 Posts
Por-15 is your best bet.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
i dont like the rubberized coating or truck bed coating, reg. paints better, that way if its rusting under it you can see it before the frames junk, the thick stuff just hides it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i dont like the rubberized coating or truck bed coating, reg. paints better, that way if its rusting under it you can see it before the frames junk, the thick stuff just hides it.
I tend to agree. I have always used regular paint and it has held up good. Besides mods like wheels, tires, etc.. I like to keep the stock appearance and im not crazy about the texture appearance of some of the coating products because the frame and all has a smooth finish when new. One that finishes smooth would be ok but alot of them have a bubbley or rough finish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts