Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a front diff fluid change, how hard is it to do? I have heard mix reviews on doing the front diff, some say easy an some say take it to a shop

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
^x2

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Remove skid plate ~45 seconds
Remove drain plug ~30 seconds
Reinstall drain plug ~30 seconds
Fill diff ~5-10 minutes
Install fill plug ~30 seconds
Reinstall skid plate ~60 seconds

Whole process not including jacking up the front of the truck might take 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you can pump the fluid back in. Very easy, absolutely no point in bringing it to a shop.

·
Registered
19,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The front diff oil will prolly' look terrible if you have never drained it before... so dont freak out.

Expect a fairly metallic look...

You might want to fill it with some cheap gear oil.... go for a quick spin.. and come back and dump it again before refilling it with the good stuff.

I bought my LLY with 50k miles on it... front diff oil looked like aluminum paint!!

After flushing it out, its been good ever since.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at the service records last time it was done around 50k ago

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Any local auto parts store.

See those little tubes? You can adjust the pump suction depth to fit different bottles.

The way I do it is to dump 4 quarts of gear oil into a old windshield wiper fluid bottle.

Its way easier than switching from quart to quart to quart... cleaner too.

One of those little adapter tubes will fit the washer fluid bottle perfectly and the pump portion should screw right on.

Easy....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Thanks Joker, I cant tell you how many times I go back to this to find my answers. You SIR need a award for writing this up.:thumb
I have NEVER seen this before Joker.. well done! It should be in the "sticky" list for every forum ... .not just "General Info".

:drink

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,657 Posts
Thanks Joker, I cant tell you how many times I go back to this to find my answers. You SIR need a award for writing this up.:thumb
I have NEVER seen this before Joker.. well done! It should be in the "sticky" list for every forum ... .not just "General Info".

:drink
It's greatly appreciated. As long as people are using it, I haven't wasted my time with that thread. :thumb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts