Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front door OEM speaker replacement

Pass side door speaker is shot, been like that since I got the truck, so I decided to finally replace it. I have had the panels off before, but unsure of speaker size, and don't want to pull just to check (lazy?).

Looking it up on fleabay, I see they are saying it's a 6.5" speaker. It that correct? It does have 2 speakers though, one much smaller (not a stereo buff, can you tell), so should I replace both? What is the smaller one, and what size?

Not interested in spending big $$$$ for high output speakers, so something close to factory is fine, just don't want the rattling.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
disconnect the small one and leave it disconnected, its a 6.5" speaker, a new coaxial speaker will have the tweeter built in.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Not interested in spending big $$$$ for high output speakers, so something close to factory is fine, just don't want the rattling.

Thanks
Rockauto has the acDelco originals for cheap.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Rockauto has the acDelco originals for cheap.

why replace junk with junk when you can get a set of pioneers or the like for 35 bucks?

I used 6.75inch fosgate on all doors
6.75 is stil la 6.5" speaker with an over sized basket. the location specifies a 6.5" speaker, if you do not use the aftermarket brackets and screw directly to the door you will fit the oversized 6.5 without issue, if you use the brackets the basket will hit the inside edge of the bracket before the speaker fully seats which will require modification of the bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cause they dont sound like junk to me. Will depend on what replacements cost, as to whether or not I use another brand.

It always seems to go like, you need this speaker, but the receiver is junk so you need a better one to power these speakers, and now it's up from a few dollars to hundreds. No thanks.

Will check out RockAuto

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
why replace junk with junk when you can get a set of pioneers or the like for 35 bucks?
Unaware of the 'quality' $35 Pioneer
Just offering a source for a single matching speaker.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Cause they dont sound like junk to me. Will depend on what replacements cost, as to whether or not I use another brand.

It always seems to go like, you need this speaker, but the receiver is junk so you need a better one to power these speakers, and now it's up fro/ a few dollars to hundreds. No thanks.

Will check out RockAuto

the factory head unit will power any speaker you put in that door without amps or a new head unit, you wont drive it to its maximum performance, but it will still work as well or better then the factory did. a better radio will give you a little bit more power, but the gain is clarity in the OP amp and processor. if you add an amp to that you get more power, which gives you more control over the speaker cone which results in better clarity and higher dB, you must have aftermarket speakers to run an amp. so you are correct, one leads to the other to the next, however the system will function fully just by replacing the damaged speakers, and it will sound better then it did before. if you choose to add a new deck and or amp is up to you but its not required.

Unaware of the 'quality' $35 Pioneer
Just offering a source for a single matching speaker.

fair enough, im not saying that a 35$ speaker will be the greatest thing ever, but it will have better response, higher db/watt and longer life the the factory paper speaker with foam surround. you can get speakers from 10$ up to 20K$, so quality is really a relative thing. however of the many many silverados ive put those 35$ pioneers in for people who just want to replace a blown speaker, they have all been happy with it, and said it sounded better then before, so while i would not tell you to get those speakers if you wanted to add amps and go for a sound quality build, for 90% of the people out there who just want to replace what they had because it crapped out, they are a great solution and last a very long time on deck power.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, just ordered them, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope I read the ad right, and that there are 2 speakers in that offer. Gonna feel stupid if there isn't. It does say "speakers". :)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
...if you do not use the aftermarket brackets and screw directly to the door you will fit the oversized 6.5 without issue, if you use the brackets the basket will hit the inside edge of the bracket before the speaker fully seats which will require modification of the bracket.
What aftermarket brackets? I had to replace my door speakers due to one failing and the OEM speaker was cut from the bracket and the new speaker just screwed into that piece. Was there a better way?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
J83, is the speaker in the link a good replacement for the Bose 6 speaker system, the RPO code is UQ7.?

i dont know what the RPO code is for, however if its for the bose system in the 06 in your signature it will work fine, HOWEVER the factory speakers are 8 ohm i believe on the bose system, the aftermarkets will be 4 ohm, so you will pull twice the power off the bose amp, which is already a common failure point. will you break the bose amp by running them? probably not, unless you crank the unholy fuck out of the volume all the time, just be aware that it may shorten the amps life.

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Not to mention that cheap speakers rated @4ohms are not consistent. You could have an even bigger amp draw.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
J83, is the speaker in the link a good replacement for the Bose 6 speaker system, the RPO code is UQ7.?
i dont know what the RPO code is for, however if its for the bose system in the 06 in your signature it will work fine, HOWEVER the factory speakers are 8 ohm i believe on the bose system, the aftermarkets will be 4 ohm, so you will pull twice the power off the bose amp, which is already a common failure point. will you break the bose amp by running them? probably not, unless you crank the unholy fuck out of the volume all the time, just be aware that it may shorten the amps life.
That is the code for the Bose in my truck, rarely if ever crank-it and mostly listen to talk radio or it is OFF. When the wife is with me that's another story altogether, installed an adapter for an iPod and 90% of the music is Grateful Dead. If you have ever been around a one of those "types" well never mind.....

So what your saying is a 8ohm aftermarket speaker is not available and a recommendation for a middle of the road replaement.?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.