Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice a slight ticking sound almost like something rubbing on the wheel, couldn't really hear it over the exhaust unless your driving under 20mph, now when the truck is driving at different levels(side of a ditch or severally washboarded roads) at almost a crawl or faster speeds, or turning the wheels and backing out of driveway it clunks/pops LOUD, again this happes slow or fast, I put some grease in the front hopeing for a easy fix. When I hit bumps staight on the suspension cycles but the noise is almost nonexistent, ball joint?pitman arm?control arm bushing?body mounts?Differential mounting bolts/bushings? HELP

·
Registered
259 Posts
So I notice a slight ticking sound almost like something rubbing on the wheel, couldn't really hear it over the exhaust unless your driving under 20mph, now when the truck is driving at different levels(side of a ditch or severally washboarded roads) at almost a crawl or faster speeds, or turning the wheels and backing out of driveway it clunks/pops LOUD, again this happes slow or fast, I put some grease in the front hopeing for a easy fix. When I hit bumps staight on the suspension cycles but the noise is almost nonexistent, ball joint?pitman arm?control arm bushing?body mounts?Differential mounting bolts/bushings? HELP
Jack front of truck up such that one front wheel is on the ground and the other is in the air. Dont let suspension go to full droop.
Grab the wheel at 10 and 6 and check for movement.
Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and check for movement.
Set the truck down, go to the bed. Shake the truck fairly vigorously and see if the sound occurs and report what you find. I'm sure other members will chime in as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did put my truck in the air 2 times, took my buddy for a ride to make sure I was sane, he agreed a bad pop/clunk, I tried to see if there was problems, i tried different locations of moving the tire, they're isn't any play that I can tell, the only thing I saw out of place was the Torsion key bolt on the drivers side was screwed out a 1/2 inch less than the passenger side. Also my Differential mounting bolt was missing a nut on the driver side Rear of the front diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just drove 300 miles yesterday no change in how the truck usually drives but just when I'm turning or going over bumps that aren't uniform so that both tires are going over the same bump, it has the loud clunk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just drove 300 miles yesterday no change in how the truck usually drives but just when I'm turning or going over bumps that aren't uniform so that both tires are going over the same bump, it has the loud clunk
How are your sway bar end links?

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are your sway bar end links?[/QUOTE]

The end links look fine, there isn't any mushroomed out bushings and they don't look lose, with the wheel on the ground and in the air I shook them to see if there was play, I think there fine

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fair enough, just figured being that new I'd make them deal with it.

Reactions: lbz.erik

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The noise I hear sounds like it is coming from somewhere under the drivers seat and it's when the truck bounces over bumps, sorry man hope you get it figured out to

·
Registered
259 Posts
The noise I hear sounds like it is coming from somewhere under the drivers seat and it's when the truck bounces over bumps, sorry man hope you get it figured out to
Check the condition of your CV axles.
Check all bolts supporting any cross frames for proper torque.

If you have a durable camera, perhaps mount it under the truck and go for a drive and try different locations of mounting. Attach a tether to the camera in case the mount lets go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man, I'm gonna go over to a buddy's house sometime this week and stick it on his lift and see if I can find anything loose

·
Registered
849 Posts
Brake pads have been an issue with these trucks. Hit the brake slightly and go over the bump, if it doesnt clunk it's obviously the pads knocking. Mine has a history with that. Very loud and embarrassing around crowds

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you checked your brake calipers? You may have a loose or missing bolt on the bracket or caliper? Also check upper a arms and shocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same nut missing on the differential mount on my new 2017. Also have a popping clicking noise in front at low speeds when turning. Jacked it up and spun the wheels, sounds like hub bearing on drivers side is going bad already with 2,000 miles. Also can feel a slight bump under my feet when driving slowly on bumpy gravel roads. Got it scheduled to take in on March 14th.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got into some warmer weather after putting some grease in my front end and drove a couple hundred miles and the noise went away since then, I need the nut still but no more popping

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts