Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 04 4x4 duramax, I am new to these trucks, the passenger frt tire is cupped on the inside. You can see that the tire has some slight camber to it, what does it sound to you guys? I was thinking of doing the control arm bushings it looks like I can get a kit for uppers and lowers from autozone for about 65 bucks? Any help would be appreciated. Truck has 91K miles w/ leveling kit and 305's.

Thanks Jesse

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
hmmm have you tried to get the alignment checked? Most of the time they will tell you what you need to change. Maybe the last person didnt have it aligned after they cranked the torsions???

BTW, :welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Did seller possibly keep other tires and swap an old pair and then sell? If not then probably torsion bar issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, def the tires that were on it, it just looks like there is too much camber to be just an alignment issue, I guess I will start with getting the alignment checked, i just have a problem trusting those people, just hoping i dont have to replace all the busings and ball joints just yet.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
how many miles on the truck? Chances are with the bigger tires you will probably need to change ball joints. If the torsions are cranked all the way and the alignment was never done...it would make it look the way you are describing. Also if they are cranked too far, you wont be able to be all the way within specs...that is why cognito made the UCAs for our truck..also to correct the ball joint angles....
You have any pics of your ball joint angles? and from the front of your truck?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get some pictures up tomorrow. I appreciate the help guys, and the quick responses.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Have you jacked up the front of your truck and checked the wheel hub? try to rock the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock too. You might need ball joints by now, but I would do that simple check first and then get your alignment checked if the wheel hub checks out good.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Looks like a bad wheel bearing like ob_1jr said..... that's how mine looked and just had it aligned right before it went. Any grinding or moaning noises coming from there?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told it has new wheel bearings, it doesnt have any play in it, but both upper balljoints are ripped,on the inside. I am guessing it is from the leveling kit. I think im going to replace both upper balljoints, and the uppercontrol arm bushings and take it to get aligned? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do all four. For how much more work it is while your in there might as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what i would love to do, but i truely do not have the time to do it how i would like to, i think they lowers are fine honestly. It sucks but i need the truck to get to work every day. I am looking at the cognito kits, but not sure it is worth 500bucks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The cognito UCAs are worth it..you wont be replacing ball joints every year because the boots are ripped and wont hold grease so they go bad. I wish I would have gone with them sooner, but the last set were covered under warranty, so I just let the dealer change them. BTW, I didnt have my torsions cranked, but the boots were blowing out ... and no I wasnt over greasing them. It was from the frost heaves here in alaska....along with the cold

SO you were able to jack the front up? Honestly if the hubs are good all you will most likely need is the ball joints themselves. If I were you , i would do them all since they are not that expensive and you will have it halfway apart anyway.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you guys know of anybody else that makes the upper control arms besides cognito?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I think fabtech has some...but i think their ball joints for those are really expensive. the replacements for the cognitos are like $50-60 each.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i didnt catch it in time, i was driving saturday and snapped the balljoint, so i ordered new lowers, and the cognito upper control arm kit, along with hd tierod sleeves. Hopefully that will take care of everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts