Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its hard to describe but its like the front end of my truck is bumping as I ride down the road. The tires were just rotated an rebalanced, an was doing it before the rotation. Its like a sligh bumping feeling that can be felt in the stearing wheel. Have any ideas? Have searched but not really come up with anything. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been tryin to locate a similar issue on my DMAX. I think mine is the front LT wheel assy. The bearings were just replaced and did not help. So in the next round of good weather I'll be checking the brake assy since it seems the rattle/bumping goes away with the brakes applied. I'll let you know when I take mine apart this week and get back to you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i have a similar problem.....i can feel the front end clunking when i turn the steering wheel and sometimes when it is straight...i can feel and hear it in the steering wheel.....i have been told that it is the intermediate steering shaft

·
Registered
387 Posts
X2 it's the iss. There's an easy fix on here somewhere. At least a temporary fix...somethin with a ziptie...

·
Registered
589 Posts
oo someone please tell me this temporary fix i need it now!!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The intermediate shaft when it goes definitely makes a knocking sound in the column that you can also feel through the wheel. once diagnosed, you won't forget it. had the same dlr want to replace it again after 10K miles and 1 year.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I know this may sound crazy, but when I first bought my truck I had a clunking in the floorboard every time I would hit bumps. I just knew for sure it was the intermediate shaft because I have an 03 suburban with the same issue. Well I was having a problem with my power driver seat and was working on troublshooting the motor when I found one of the nuts that hold the driver seat down was WAY loose.... I tightened that and the clunking stopped. It was my seat bouncing up and down over every little bump. Just a thought.

·
Registered
387 Posts
HA! That's wild. I had a knock in the floor on drivers side and it was front left hub bearing. You are right though, check and who knows what you might come up with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. But its more of like a slight bounce like tires are out of ballance. Its not a clunking, an I too have 2 new wheel hub assemblies. Will try do do more looking around.... but its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
736 Posts
What are you running your tire pressure at up front? Is your truck leveled or stock height? Everything greased?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire psi 65/55 front/rear. Truck at stock height, lowered the rear 2" with shackle, just greased when rotated tires. I really think that the tire place didnt balance my tires right or maybe ive thrown a wheel weight. Would bad ball joints have any symptoms like this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update, i have looked and looked underneath the truck and i can find nothing to really cause my issue, so going to get tires re balanced tomorrow. Will post back and let know if this fixes my issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here we go... went to the tire shop where my buddy works... and guess what..? Sure enough was the damn stick on wheel weights. Where they were placed on one of the wheels for some reason they caught the caliper and you know the rest. Its weird though not all the stick on weights where gone, just a few. Must have over looked that, saw there where weights on the wheel, just didnt realize they were all over that place. But all is good now. Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts