Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster

Since I got my 2017 a few months ago it’s had a loud rattle/clanking coming from the front end. It happens any time I go over any small bumps or slightly rough roads. It’ll happen at any speed, and still occurs when then brakes are pressed (don’t think it’s the calipers). I don’t feel the vibration through the steering wheel, so I don’t think it’s the intermediate shaft. Imagine if the hood was popped, and rattling against the latch. That’s probably the best way to describe the sound. I’ve been chasing the rattle since I got the truck, and it’s driving me nuts.
Here’s what I’ve tried:
• Greasing the front end
• Adjusting the hood latch & leveling the hood bumpers
• Snugging the side-step bolts
• Making sure the skid plates are snug

I was looking under the truck and noticed on the passenger side, only 7/8 bolts were installed for the side-steps because of the DEF tank blocking the install of the top bolt. Could it be the steps rattling? The other 7 are tight.

I took the truck to my dealer to fix an unrelated screw up of theirs and had them look at it. Their solution, per the receipt, was to “tighten filter”. I found out what that meant when I went to change my oil 'uhNo. Needless to say, I’ll be taking it to a different dealer next time.

I know it really isn’t a big deal, but it’s driving me crazy.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Trent

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im having the same issue with my Truck. Had the dealer check it out and they say there isn?t anything wrong with the front end but it just doesn?t feel right. I got a 2017 3500hd with 15000 km on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took 4 trips to the dealer, but this was finally resolved. It ended up being the subwoofer under the center console. The dealer said it was missing several bolts and was flopping around causing the clanking noise. I could have sworn it was coming from the front end or under the hood. Hopefully this will help others. I enjoy my truck much more without the tin can full of marbles rattling around lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster

Since I got my 2017 a few months ago it’s had a loud rattle/clanking coming from the front end. It happens any time I go over any small bumps or slightly rough roads. It’ll happen at any speed, and still occurs when then brakes are pressed (don’t think it’s the calipers). I don’t feel the vibration through the steering wheel, so I don’t think it’s the intermediate shaft. Imagine if the hood was popped, and rattling against the latch. That’s probably the best way to describe the sound. I’ve been chasing the rattle since I got the truck, and it’s driving me nuts.
Here’s what I’ve tried:
• Greasing the front end
• Adjusting the hood latch & leveling the hood bumpers
• Snugging the side-step bolts
• Making sure the skid plates are snug

I was looking under the truck and noticed on the passenger side, only 7/8 bolts were installed for the side-steps because of the DEF tank blocking the install of the top bolt. Could it be the steps rattling? The other 7 are tight.

I took the truck to my dealer to fix an unrelated screw up of theirs and had them look at it. Their solution, per the receipt, was to “tighten filter”. I found out what that meant when I went to change my oil 'uhNo. Needless to say, I’ll be taking it to a different dealer next time.

I know it really isn’t a big deal, but it’s driving me crazy.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Trent

I have this same noise and its killing me. Theres a subwoofer under the center console?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have this same noise and its killing me. Theres a subwoofer under the center console?
Depends on trim/options.

From 2018 Guide:

UQA Bose Sound with 6 speaker system, (7 speaker system including subwoofer when ordered with bucket seats).
On SLT - Included with (PDR) 2500HD SLT Gas Premium Plus Package, (PCH) Duramax Plus Package and (GAT) All Terrain HD Package.

lower trims, not available; on Denali UQA is standard.

On silverado
UQA Bose Sound with 6 speaker system, (7 speaker system including subwoofer when ordered with bucket seats).
LT - Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab model and (PCM) LT Convenience Package, (PDA) Texas Edition or (PDU) All Star Edition.
LTZ- Included and only available with (PDF) LTZ Plus Package.

Std on High Country
Not available on Work Truck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends on trim/options.

From 2018 Guide:

On SLT - Included with (PDR) 2500HD SLT Gas Premium Plus Package, (PCH) Duramax Plus Package and (GAT) All Terrain HD Package.

lower trims, not available; on Denali UQA is standard.

On silverado
LT - Requires Crew Cab or Double Cab model and (PCM) LT Convenience Package, (PDA) Texas Edition or (PDU) All Star Edition.
LTZ- Included and only available with (PDF) LTZ Plus Package.

Std on High Country
Not available on Work Truck
Thanks,

I have the LTZ with leather bucket seats. I didn't order the truck, it came that way. Not sure if it's the plus, I'm pretty sure it's fully loaded, only thing missing is the rear seat dvd. Do you know if you have to remove the seats to remove center console? Other posts say it's the bushings on the shock that are loose, brake dust cover, intermediate steering shaft, and now the subwoofer. I don't want anyone taking my new truck apart dealer or not. I do my own work but that type of work is out of my league.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I'm assuming your LTZ is a crew.
I think the only way to get the L5P on an LTZ crew is with PCH -'Duramax Plus Package' so it would have the Bose stuff and the sub.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm assuming your LTZ is a crew.
I think the only way to get the L5P on an LTZ crew is with PCH -'Duramax Plus Package' so it would have the Bose stuff and the sub.
I've also watched a vid on a loose heat shield that protects the cat and it made a similar noise. You only hear the noise if I go over small bumps or speed bumps. sounds like its right outside the front passenger window.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Any chance it's just the way one of the seat/shoulder belts is hanging and the clip is rattling against a doorpost?

Sounds stupid but that was the issue a friend had with a half ton.

The strap had been left with an extra 1/2 twist in it an it was just the right combo of position of the adjustable seat, height of the adjustable shoulder position of the strap and the location that the lap clip/buckle had bee slide along the strap. No obvious problem when inspecting while stopped, but it caused a rattle over bumps.
Untwisted the strap and rattle gone.

We didn't try to test and see if one of the other adjustments would also eliminate the rattle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
its not the seatbelt. I think it maybe the heat guard I seen a vid where a guy was tapping on things underneath like the cat and it made the same noise. Im going to check it out today. it sounds like either 2 plates clanking together and a marble rolling around in a metal can. weird.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found out what it was!! Out of the blue a buddy of mine asked if I checked the hubcap bc he could here the noise too. I tapped on the hub and sure enough something is bouncing around in there. I thought the dealership left a socket in there but it ended up being the inner hub cap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a noise that is bugging the crud out of me. Any new info on the front end clunking that this thread was started about? Sounds like a ball joint or tie rod, but I can't find any play in anything.

No suspension mods.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a noise that is bugging the crud out of me. Any new info on the front end clunking that this thread was started about? Sounds like a ball joint or tie rod, but I can't find any play in anything.

No suspension mods.
Start with cranking down the sway bar end links on both sides. Squish those rubber bushings. Drive it and see if rattle is gone.

Next I would check the idler arm. Have someone else turn the steering wheel side to side while you are under there. Watch the idler housing that mounts to the frame. If it wobbles instead of turning smoothly then it is shot. Junk design by GM. Supersteer makes a far superior design that Kryptonite private labels ... but Supersteer is half the money.

Good luck and let us know if this solves your rattle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts