Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i already know the answer to this but are those hub assemblies on ebay junk? you can buy a pair of fronts for like 150! just trying to find out if anyone has tried any of them

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
get only timken bearings or you will be replacing them pretty often.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
I bought 3 of them from an ebay seller. But, only after talking to them. These were not Timken but had a lifetime warranty. The guy told me they sold both and had about the same warranty return rate. I installed two & have one as a spare so the truck won't be waiting for the turn-around.

So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The Duramax Store [Forum Supporting Vendor] has Timken bearings, and good prices.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Spend the money for timken's, Parts store house brands I have not had any luck with (especially O'Reilley's, 3 bad bearings from the shelf, bad when we put them on)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Duramax Store [Forum Supporting Vendor] has Timken bearings, and good prices.
X2, that is where i buy mine and have never had any issues afterwards. Great place to deal with.:thumb

·
Registered
628 Posts
wow..... $50 cheaper than the local places. Made me wonder if it was the whole hub assembly but it is. :) Going to order from these guys this afternoon most likely. I've been hearing a squeak from drivers side front in the turns and I'm pretty sure it's bearings on their way out. Just did the brakes so I know it's not that.

what's their shipping turn around time like?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I’ve been running the ones from Dearborn axle for awhile and have had no issues at all. I run them in my wife’s car farm trucks the super saver beater ranger also my duramax. All from ebay say what you want but I have had sh#@ luck with Timkens.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I feel like many of the people who are all "oh they're junk, get the timken ones, they're the best!" actually have zero experience with the cheap ebay wheel bearings and they are just assuming. Its just that they spent $$$$ on the timken ones, and want to make themselves feel better by reaffirming their decision to spend twice as much on "name brand" "good" wheel bearings.

Myself and several friends of mine run the cheap ebay wheel bearings. I think 125 shipped for one of them. I have probably 100k miles on them and they're still just as tight as new. Same with my friends' ebay wheel bearings.

ben

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went to an Auto Parts store and bought there bearings. They sell Moog bearings and ball joints. They are not one of the venders on this site so I dont want to mention the name. Paid $197.00 a piece

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
I feel like many of the people who are all "oh they're junk, get the timken ones, they're the best!" actually have zero experience with the cheap ebay wheel bearings and they are just assuming. Its just that they spent $$$$ on the timken ones, and want to make themselves feel better by reaffirming their decision to spend twice as much on "name brand" "good" wheel bearings.

Myself and several friends of mine run the cheap ebay wheel bearings. I think 125 shipped for one of them. I have probably 100k miles on them and they're still just as tight as new. Same with my friends' ebay wheel bearings.

ben
Yeah, I went to the front-end shop to get it aligned . . . been going there for decades. The quote was $1,400.00, which include two new hub assemblies. Uhh, yeah, ok . . . gee, hmm, Wow! Called both the Chevy dealer and NAPA, getting a price on the part . . . including a one year warranty.

As I said above, the Ebay parts guy had the same return rate on both types. However, the cheapo foreign one had a lifetime warranty. So, I ordered three (3) for the same price as one from the dealer.

The labor cost was a Warn receiver d-ring shackle (gave to my buddy for helping me).

This was 70k ago and today, everything's good.

I'm confused. We want to buy American, but how much more should we pay?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can buy wheel bearings locally "Napa" for $239 but only 1yr warranty. I just bought wheel bearings for my 1500 1/2 ton at Advanced Auto and they were $278 each with only a 3yr warranty and they were not Timken. $189 for Timken bearings with lifetime warranty and delivered within 2days seemed like a deal to me. Where are Timken actually made? Who knows, they have a global industry and have had a good quality name for many yrs. They have been top notch since the late 1800's when they 1st started. Are they any better? Who really knows, i have had good luck with them and they have a great warranty backing them up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There are places online that sell them timkens for $149. I wont say where cause people get cranky cause they arent a vendor

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
^^^ Good info. Thanks.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
If your cheap like me and have your own shop then buy the cheap ones that still have the lifetime warranty. I have the tools in my tool box at all times to change them.

It takes me about 30 min to change them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Detroit axle hasn't let me down yet. i get all my hubs from there for whatever car.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Timkin are good, so are Moog...........Ive used Moog or Timkin all my life and have never had an issue with either brand.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
This thread is from 2012...
hahaha I found it in the posts last day and stupidly thought it was current!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts