Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 DMax - Allison which I bought new - it just turned over 55,000 miles - I know, just about worn out. My question has to do with badly wearing out front tires despite going to reputable service department. The original tires on the front went amazingly fast - passenger side wore to metal before I knew it, plus scalloping on both front tires. I put new tires on and I now have the same problem - this time it's the driver side wearing the inside of the tire off very badly. Both front tires have bad scalloping mostly on the inner half of both front tires. I was told my shocks are bad. Recommendations? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! At 55K miles, your front suspension should still be good as new!! Based on our description, your front end is suffering from "toe out". Are you sure the shop you take it to is reputable? I doubt if bad shocks would cause what you are describing. Has your truck been leveled by any chance, or any other suspension mods? Aftermarket wheels? What brand of tire? Do you have 4WD and use it a lot? Have you inspected your jounce bumpers for wear? They only last about 5-6 years and can deteriorate causing front suspension issues, takes about 30 minutes to replace them. I would get a second opinion from another shop.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,018 Posts
Or he bought it new and only uses it to pull his RV. Your post is not helpful at all.

OP, I agree with getting a second opinion. It sounds more like an alignment issue than a suspension issue. What pressure do you keep the tires at?

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Or he bought it new and only uses it to pull his RV. Your post is not helpful at all.

OP, I agree with getting a second opinion. It sounds more like an alignment issue than a suspension issue. What pressure do you keep the tires at?
man someone got up on the wrong side of the keyboard today... chill dude.. this is still a social site and if I want to get a little tongue and cheek .. so be it...

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Is your truck 4WD or 2WD? Ever had front end damage? Ever replaced your idler? or a control arm? or a Ball joint? Still have original shocks? Stock steel wheels? Stock sized tires?

It sure sounds like you have something very worn or damaged but at 55K miles, that's not so likely. Worn out tires are usually a result of bad alignment, but you've had that checked. Shocks could produce some weird tire wear problems but yours sounds severe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. It was not a mistake - 55,000 miles. Alley Cat - everything is stock, zero mods of any kind to entire truck. No wrecks or front end damage. It is 4-wheel drive and I use it very little. What are jounce bumpers? I Have Yokohama tires on it. On the unusual occasion I use 4-wheel drive it sometimes feels as if the differential is not unlocking when I'm turning very short. Thanks for the feedback. By the way it is almost as slick now as when I bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts