Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone--
I replaced my fuel filter when i bought my truck about a month ago and the filter has roughly 1500 miles on it...When it is below 30 degrees, my truck runs like a pooch....No quicker than 40 mph tops and takes 3 days to get there. I talked to a local dealership and they said a lot of ppl were having problems with this biodiesel. ever since i have had the truck, i have been using BP's diesel which contains 11% bio fuel......I was told to find somewhere that only contains 3% or less. My dad uses an expensive additive in our fuel tanks for our tractors, and maybe i need to use that in my tank in cold conditions? please help!! im sick of getting passed by yugos!!! thanks:confused:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Bio has a cloud point that happens at a warmer temp. I would try to use an additive like power service or stanadyne and see what happens. Also, how many miles on the truck when you started using the bio? The bio could be cleaning out your fuel system. On the fuel filter, did you cut it open and see what it looked like?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i didnt cut my old one open, but the diesel fuel that i have been putting in here is the same as the diesel lanes for the semis, and the truck had about 72000 on it when i bought it, and have used that fuel since....someone had told me the bio diesel made your truck lose power during colder weather but maybe i was mistaken. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
put some power service additive in the tank. it might help, if nothing else it boost cetane levels. i've got a bunch let me know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bio diesel was predominant at the pumps in our area shorthly after we bought our 05 so we -had- to use biodiesel then. We have never had a problem with cold weather or power in the two winters we have had since then (recently a stretch of below zero for a week). During the early days of the biodiesel use in our area there were scattered reports of system "cleaning" and these problems have disappeared as time went along. They were predominantly reported in vehicles with higher mileage where gunk had had time to collect, I imagine. Also, be careful of fuel additives in the Duramax. I had read previous reports of the additives (and PS was one of them mentioned) that could cause problems with the difference in injector design these engines had....

·
Registered
132 Posts
3 trucks, 300k, and no problems w/ power service

i heard that red colored fuel works good too. lol :ar15

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks--
yeah today i went and bought some fppf bio additive and it seemed to improve it alot...i have heard once it warms up bio diesel is the best thing for your engine but during cold weather its a pain...thanks again guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts