Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IVe had the Pro~Flo 4 inch turbo back for about 2 months. Great exhaust and the truck made a tick under 500rwhp thru it but there was a little drone at 1500-1600 rpms. I did some research and it seemed like people would put in the FTE muffler/resonator.

I put in the 30 inch unit and it fit perfect in the spot that the stock 20 inch muffler and the other 10 inch section directly next to the muffler so it slipped right on and I reused the clamps that came with the Pro~Flo.

I'm amazed how good it helped and the exhaust still sounds mean from outside. Zero drone and a simple install.

I highly recommend the FTE. I just used the website for ordering as I heard they suck at retuning calls. Lol.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea if it cost you any hp?
Don't know until I put he back on the dyno. I should in the next 2 weeks. Looking threw the FTE resonator, it is pretty open. Has one straight thre pipe in the middle and then on the outside, it is a spiral opening that goes from end to end. Very cool how that works so well.

I was planning on a re dyno after the S&B intake and sump pump anyways. I'll post up the results when it is done.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Doc, did you order your muffler/resonator from FTE's website?

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on the turbo sound change with this muffler? I've tried the flo pro the magnaflow and aero turbine 5050xl and the aero got rid of the drone but also made my 68mm Danville sound like a Kirby again, it whistles like crazy straight piped but so far all mufflers seem to eliminate whistle more then the drone for me. Looking at this option next

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think the turbo is more pronounced, but it is likely just because the truck is quieter overall. Mine eliminated all drone, even while towing.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the larger one, I believe it's 30". I removed the straight pipe where the muffler would normally go and it fit perfectly in its place.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
You guys have my attention on this FTE 17 " long 4" resonator that's about the longest I could easily install.
My concern is will the EGT's be higher and maybe less exhaust flow, I know FTE claims that's not the case.

g35_83 and Doc GTO, did you notice any negative changes like I mentioned above?
Doc GTO, I know you mentioned about doing a dyno.
Besides the positive with having a more pleasant quieter drive.

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
I just installed this on my truck last night and can't believe the difference I just put it in place of the muffler and the truck still has the deep tone and plenty of turbo whistle but the dryer and is completely gone !

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I've got my drone toned down a little with a 14" Magnaflow muffler and 4" Magnaflow Cat to help with the diesel exhaust odor, but the exhaust noise in general is a little more than what I would like.
Thx for the reply

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I just installed this on my truck last night and can't believe the difference I just put it in place of the muffler and the truck still has the deep tone and plenty of turbo whistle but the dryer and is completely gone !
Does the 17" have pretty much the same 4" OD from end to end, the picture on their site shows that it is, but everywhere else it shows that it expands out in the 12" section.
I have not been able to get anyone to answer the phone or reply email.
I went ahead and ordered but it would be nice to know before hand, it's tight where I plan on installing it.

Thx

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
Mine is 5 inch but yes it's flared on both ends I just took a piece of 5in exhaust pipe stuck it in and welded

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
The complete 17" resonator just looks like a 5" pipe with flared ends, thx.
The 4" should be close to the same, I guess. Thx
I know it's to soon to tell, I'm just curious if you've noticed any loss in power and if the EGT's are a little higher.
I've done a lot of review readings but they are mixed a little, some saying less power little higher EGT's, some say they didn't notice any changes except for the drone is gone.
I'm going to use clamps the ones FTE offers first just in case I'm not happy.
Doc was going to report back, but I haven't read anything yet.

Thx

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.