Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't believe any OEM says you NEED to, but its not a bad idea. Better fuel lubricity, keeps the injectors clean, and usually helps out the Cetane rating a bit for just a little more power and economy. I use Amsoil Diesel Concentrate every tank in both my diesel's personally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless addressing an issue such as an algae growth or a gelling problem, you are pretty much wasting your funds. Have never found any diesel fuel additive that was worth the money and yes, I've run Standadyne and about any of the others you can name.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I know I asked this before, but thanks again. Oh, yeah, what type of oil are you guys using? How often are you changing oil? I changed mine about 4300 miles ago, and used chevron delo. Planning on changing it every 4500-5000 miles. Could I run synthetic, and have no problems? Have about 8455 miles on my truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
diesel nut is correct, this ulsd crap is killing mileage and lubricity
amsoil 15-40 full synthetic, and wait until 10,000 miles to change over then 7500 intervals to change for me but it is personal preference. Look at it this way, you paid 45,000 for this truck why put crap dino oil in it? spend an extra 25.00 an oil change plus change intervals are a little longer.....just my two centavos

oh yeah and it says not to in the manual because they want your shit to break and you will have to come to the stealer for repairs or a new truck..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, looks will do next oil change with the regular crap, then about 12000 will change to synthetic, will start using either stanadyne or amzoil, oils, and fuel addatives.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have seen a gain of approximately 2 mpg using amsoil, as long as I stay off the accelerator.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Mackie -

On your LBZ CLassic you can actually run 15k oil changes with Amsoil. More often if you like, but the oil is actually good long beyond that with analysis and bypass filtration. That is a little more work than most guys want to mess with, but it is an option.

Amsoil rates the Diesel Oils (excluding the DEO 5W40) at 25k miles regular service, 15k severe service. Almost everyone qualifies as severe service, just by the nature of our trucks.

As for mileage claims using additives, its all relative. I have had customers tell me 2+ MPG, and had some tell me none. No one has told me of a drop in mileage. Mileage is so hard to pin down due to the variables.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jason, how much is it for the amzoil, oil for my truck, and fuel addative? Is the oil synthetic? Thanks, Mackie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts