Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fist diesel ever so Im not really sure if a fuel additive is really necessary or not. If so how often do you add it, and what brand/kind are you using? I am installing a lift pump in 2 weeks, just want to keep my cp4 safe and make it last. Thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are many discussions here about that, just search fuel additives. Do your research and select one. My two cents is that the fuel available isn't meeting the requirements of the cp4 so you should definitely use one. Everybody has their favorite.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
^x2

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
just remember that testing published on these forums a few years ago showed that many of the additives made the lubricity worse.

Adding some biodiesel at a 50:1 ratio gave the most improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Opti lube is a very good additive that is all i use.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Check out optilube's newest additive, they ran a test with 5% gas and it still performed very well.
What's the new additive called?

·
Registered
16,262 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
optilube!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Keep an eye on your regen frequency if using an additive. Some have noted more frequent regens when running an additive. Probably why GM recommends NOT to run an additive on these trucks.

Many also say the major stations (Shell, Chevron, BP, etc...) already put additives in their fuels although I have never seen any type of paper study that proves this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been using Power Service additive since I bought my truck in 2011. Have not had more regen frequencies. When fueling up I check the fuel used, measure out the exact oz's and pour it in. Per the manual: "Fuel additives not recommended in this manual could damage the fuel system". Great but they don't tell you which ones are okay to use. They say to consult your dealer for advice. I did, and they said not to use one that contains alcohol or water emulsifiers.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
X2 for Power Service DK. It can do nothing but help

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not using any of "snake oil" in my rig or in any of my cars. If it was all they claim it to be, why isn't GM or Ford or any other dealer selling it under their house brand name such as they do oil, DEF and filters etc. ?

I know people that do use them....I just choose not to.

I do run a bio blend in my rig. I only fill up at Wal Mart stations and they claim to have up to 15% bio D in their tanks. That should keep the CP4 happy I would think.

Tim

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Crazyeye

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use power source also.but my truck sits a month at a time

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I run OptiLube XL as well, noticeable increase in fuel economy and the CP4 is much quieter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats the difference between optilube XL and XPD? I cant find anything comparing the 2

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1417707596.816455.jpg

See the chart. Lots of difference.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Amazon caries it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts