Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007.5 2500 4x4 6.6 LMM with a crew cab and the standard bed. I love the truck, and its only been 5 days!

I actually just introduced myself in the introductions forum. My question is the fuel capicity. In the owner's manual it states 34 gallons. However, when I filled up tonight the needle was almost touching the "E" line, and I took 19 gallons.

From searching some previous post it looks like they might use a 26 gallon tank for the crew cab standard bed. Is this true? Can I take it down to 20-22 gallons and still be safe, I imagine the fuel light would come on?

If this is true I may look into a bigger tank.

Thanks for the help/advice.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Congrates on the new ride.
You can check out titan tanks they make bigger tanks.
You are correct the light will come on when it gets low.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought something was not right either. Kinda sucks that gauge shows E so fast. Getting use to it

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
nice^^^^^^^^^:drink

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Tuning doesnt change the amount of gallons Mike, only how far you gotta push ;) :D
He probably changes the voltage scaling so the light doesn't come on when you still have 6 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
one note for only getting 19 in there. auto shut off may have clicked it off. diesel can be foamy alot of time and then click off the auto filler early, just keep filling until its full

·
Banned
17,251 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the 26 gal. when the light comes on i normally still have about 4-5 gal left.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My truck will fill to 19 to 19.5. It will shut off then. I try to pump more and shot diesel all the f&*k over the place. I have a cc 08 standard. I thought that I must have a smaller tank, but I guess the foamy action could be possible and still allows the diesel to come flying out

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah, I really don't like that you really only have 19-20 gallons of usable fuel... After the gauge is bottomed out on the "E" you still have approx. 5 gallons left, which I am not to fond of, because after using 19-20 gallons it really a guessing game on how much is left.

I mean, why not have a 30 gallon tank and when the needle is on "E" you have 4 gallons left, that would make it a full 26 usable gallons with a 4 gallon reserve..

·
Registered
2008 Silverado LTZ extended cab, Edge Race tune, no DPF, leveling kit from P/O
17 Posts
I just bought a 2007.5 2500 4x4 6.6 LMM with a crew cab and the standard bed. I love the truck, and its only been 5 days!

I actually just introduced myself in the introductions forum. My question is the fuel capicity. In the owner's manual it states 34 gallons. However, when I filled up tonight the needle was almost touching the "E" line, and I took 19 gallons.

From searching some previous post it looks like they might use a 26 gallon tank for the crew cab standard bed. Is this true? Can I take it down to 20-22 gallons and still be safe, I imagine the fuel light would come on?

If this is true I may look into a bigger tank.

Thanks for the help/advice.
I just had the opposite thing happen. First off, I'm in a 2008 Duramax, Extended Cab with short bed. Everything I can find on line says I should have a 26 gallon tank. BUT, today I had between 1/8 - 1/4 tank left, but the 'gallons uses' on the trip computer told me I had used 27 gallons. I panicked and pulled into the next diesel station to fill up.

I tried to consider different tire sizes, messed up computer, and any other reason for my mpg and gallons used readings to be so far off.

Anyway, I filled the tank as usual and ended up filling 27.6 gallons in the tank. What gives???? From what i know, there were 2 tank sizes; 26 and 34. Was 34 gal an option?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
On the early trucks with the short bed, the larger 34 gallon tank would not fit because the crossmember was in the way-- assume the same for the LMM model. If you have a tuner, that can confuse the dash display--.

I was traveling back East [not towing] and watched my MPG start climbing-- got all the way to 32 MPG-- to bad it was not true. With a PPE set on "2".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts