Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new LLY is set on (Driver 2) when i start the truck. my DIC only shows odometer, trip, and hours. i want to see instant, and or average fuel consumption-economy somehow. is this even possible?
so my question is, is my DIC capible of showing Fuel consumption (maybe driver 1 if i can) or do i need some type of aftermarket monitor?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Whatever it reads is going to be wrong anyways so you might as well just hand calculate it

·
Registered
73 Posts
The DIC in my truck is within .5mpg every time I do the hand calculation. Starting to wounder if you guys that say it's way off know how to do the math.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, it will show personal trip, and business trip, and show the mileage and fuel consumed for each.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The DIC in my truck is within .5mpg every time I do the hand calculation. Starting to wounder if you guys that say it's way off know how to do the math.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Calculus 1-Completed
Calculus 2-Completed
Calculus 3-Completed
Differential Equations-Completed
Numeric Methods-Completed
Probability and Statistics-Completed

Yes I can do math and it is normal for the DIC to be unreliable. I've seen some people claim that their trucks get 23 mpgs STOCK because their DIC says so therefore I think I'm justified in advising this person to go ahead and do a hand calculation.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
i do hand calculate it, i just want to see my instant mpg because i want to know whats the best highway speen for fuel economy.
hmmmmm don't quote me on this but I think 65-70 is the best. And without cruise control on i think. My truck tends to go balls to the wall when it feels a hill coming :gearjamin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine does the same thing on cruise. There was a thread that I was involved in asking the same question. Basically, you can take it to the dealership and have them set up the dic to show this info, but it seems alot of technicians at dealerships dont have any idea wtf you are talking about, or so I have heard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmmmm don't quote me on this but I think 65-70 is the best. And without cruise control on i think. My truck tends to go balls to the wall when it feels a hill coming :gearjamin
just ran the second tank through my new lly w/ 5speed ally and mostly highway miles and i traveled 55- 60 mph on cruis control and this tank came out to 16.7 mpg STOCK truck. in my book that is excelent. i cant wait for my ugrades:gearjamin

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I assumed you had steering wheel controls, so I guess that is why you don't have those display. Sorry

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I kinda remember that GM had a plug-in module- so you had additional information display-- it sat in the cubby left of the steering wheel. This was for vehicles without steering wheel controls.

Anyone remember it-?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the info! i dont think im that ambitious but the dealer said they cant reprogram the computer to the updated version with DIC. so im stuck for now. maybe ill just try one of those scanguage things. anyone know good or bad about them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts