Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Newbie here. I am in search of an LBZ 2006-2007 one ton dually. My questions are;

1-what kind of fwy mpg does the 2wd and the 4wd get on the average completely stock and unloaded

2-if i added a tuner only for mpg gain, how much would I gain approx?

Thank you in advance....

·
Registered
37 Posts
ive got a 2wd cc shortbed non dually completely stock and get 17.1ish on the cluster display... 18.5-19 when i calculate mileage to fuel filled each tank. not sure why they are different. not much highway driving mostly city

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Empty 70-80mph hwy....15-16 maybe, 14 more realistic. That's actual....DIC will/can lie @17-18.
not sure why they are different.
Doing a run on a regular basis, West -> East, then load a low profile skid/crate with 2-3k lbs for the return, East -> West. Maybe 50ft difference in elevation from one end to the other, predominate winds from the South, so no head/tail winds involved. Same cruise control speed set.

Now here's the stickler;
Loaded with an increase in mass of 2-3k lbs, it gets better MPG than running empty. 'dunno;

Why?
The only difference is, the truck squats a bit and the fender wells (scoops) have less open space.

Big hips, they grab some wind.

Proven theory that rear fender skirts could make a comeback.....if fuel was $5/gal, then the fuel savings would be worth the cost.

But, there's always that '40s Merc cool factor. marx

·
Registered
181 Posts
Strictly highway with few stops:
Empty - 19.7 - 20 @ 75 mph
Pulling 7000 lb airstream 14.8 - 15.0. @ 65mph

Around town is a whole different ball game.. 12.5 - 14. Stoplights and idling kill the mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Strictly highway with few stops:
Empty - 19.7 - 20 @ 75 mph
Pulling 7000 lb airstream 14.8 - 15.0. @ 65mph

Around town is a whole different ball game.. 12.5 - 14. Stoplights and idling kill the mileage.
Crazy. I get the same mileage unloaded but haven’t done better than 13 pulling our 7,500 lb travel trailer. It’s not Airstream though. I’m usually around 9-11 mpg towing the camper, actually. I run 65-73 towing. I know cracking over 68 mph really hurts the mpg but it tows so nice it’s hard not to lol. I do use cruise a lot when towing.

Mines a bone stock 2006 ecsb with 207,000 on it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only 85,000 miles on mine with EFI live tune and pipe etc. speed and aerodynamics might the issue. I adhere to 65-68 for tires. Also I get a full tank just before I leave on the trip and I’m only about 3 miles from the interstate. Still that was my average a couple weeks ago 2.5 hours each way. I had to add my 5 gallon reserve tank so that I wouldn’t have to stop for fuel with the airstream connected..

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 07 LBZ is SRW, but I get about 14 in town and 17-20 on highway. So many factors to consider that effect these numbers. But all LBZ's aren't the same. My 06 LBZ SRW easily got 22-23 on the highway and maybe 15-16 in the city (same city). Tunes of any kind seem to clean up the stock map, but the problem is that we all have a tendency to be lead footed once the tune/tuner go on the truck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 06 LBZ is bone stock. Just routine maintenance. In the city, if I keep my foot out of it, I’m around 15 sometimes 16. More aggressive driving gets me 13-14mpg.

I’ve routinely taken her on 5k mile trips from south Texas to the Canadian border. Most of that in either semi-flat land or mountains. Over the past 5 years I’d say my average from those trips was 20mpg; sometimes 18 and sometimes 22. I don’t trailer long distances but usually have a pretty full load in the bed of the truck (camping gear, etc) as well as 2 passengers.

My only trailering is a horse trailer for shorter distances (20-40 miles one way). I get 13mpg and it doesn’t matter if I have one or four horses in trailer. each horse is on average 1k lbs although one of ours is a monster at 1.4k lbs

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 07' gets 22-23mpg on the highway @ 70MPH(Honest) and when pulling our 40' 5th wheel, it gets around 14MPG. That's using real miles driven with real fuel used.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
My 07' gets 22-23mpg on the highway @ 70MPH(Honest) and when pulling our 40' 5th wheel, it gets around 14MPG. That's using real miles driven with real fuel used.
That’s an insanely good number towing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree. If I hadn’t have calculated it manually. I’d probably not believe it either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts