Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently on a 1000 trip and fuel costs were all over the map. A low of $2.85 and a high of $3.59 per gallon. I only have the standard 36 gallon capacity tank. As long as I was going to continue my drive, it was tempting to keep filling my tank until the fuel was visible at the lower cost stations. I was curious if there was any evaporative emission systems or other reasons that overfilling was a bad idea.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Diesel doesnt cause the evaporative issues like gas does. Thats why it sucks to get it on you/anything you dont want it on.
I have my bed and fuel tank pulled right now. There are zero reasons, other than spillage, that i see from having removed everything that would drive you to keep from filling up to the neck. Well, the time it takes to do this actually would be the biggest detractor.

I fill it all the way up so I can calculate precise mileage. Diesel foams too much to trust letting the pump decide when its filled up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I fill my 18 up to the vent line in the filler neck 99% of the time. 79,000 miles and no issues doing this.

4th Duramax doing this with no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
When I fill up and once the pump kicks off, I wait 10 seconds, repeat, wait 10 more seconds, repeat and then done.

No issues on a 12 year old truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can get between 3-5 gallons more into the tank after the nozzle shutoff. It takes patience due to the foaming. The stock tanks are so small that I need all I can get when hauling our 5'er.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I find that nozzle size, placement in fuel neck and gpm pumping rate will change the amount that can be added after 'first click'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts