Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
2018 GMC 3500 HD Duramax SRW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

sorry was not sure where to post this. I have a 2018 gmc 3500 SRW Duramax denali and I cannot remove the fuel filter canister. I have tried even using a long bar to get leverage but it will not budge. Help ?

looking for help on how to remove this It appears to be a plastic that even though I have the 36 mm socket might strip.

do I have to cut the cap off somehow and replace it ? Any help would be great

thanks !

· Registered
2019 Silverado CCSB LTZ 4x4
116 Posts
I’ve never had mine have that problem but I think I’ve heard couple others have the same issue. I would be really careful and use a long breaker bar. Might need an extra person to hold the socket on and straight while the other works the breaker bar.

Might be a good time to look at an aftermarket setup if your handy and plan to keep the truck for awhile.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve never had mine have that problem but I think I’ve heard couple others have the same issue. I would be really careful and use a long breaker bar. Might need an extra person to hold the socket on and straight while the other works the breaker bar.

Might be a good time to look at an aftermarket setup if your handy and plan to keep the truck for awhile.
Yea that is why I stopped worried about the socket slipping

I am handy and plan to keep,it awhile. Ideas or recommendations on aftermarket improvement ?

· Registered
116 Posts
You loosened the little cap for the water separator right? Don’t think it would matter but just a thought.
Few options out there I attached a few different ones. I am personally eyeing the 2 filter setup from VSE as I think it does a better job than the factory setup and keeps water separator sensor working like it should. Little pricy but it is superior IMO.

- just the billet bowl
- single filter replacing stock unit
-Dual filter replacement

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You loosened the little cap for the water separator right? Don’t think it would matter but just a thought.
Few options out there I attached a few different ones. I am personally eyeing the 2 filter setup from VSE as I think it does a better job than the factory setup and keeps water separator sensor working like it should. Little pricy but it is superior IMO.

- just the billet bowl
- single filter replacing stock unit
-Dual filter replacement
Thanks. I think these void the warranty though ??

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
An entire replacement unit is only like $50 from the rock...
Search for TP1014.
Just have to be careful of the blue clips on the fuel lines.

· Registered
116 Posts
They would need to prove whatever the failure you had was due to the fuel filter housing you replaced. Depending on your dealer I am sure they would try for sure.

You would have to make the call if it’s worth it or not. I think the VSE system does a lot better job than the factory setup so the chances of it causing the failure are less. There has been a couple guys on here who had the factory filter fail and cause all types of issues. When you do get that housing off make sure your filter isn’t torn.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
An entire replacement unit is only like $50 from the rock...
Search for TP1014.
Just have to be careful of the blue clips on the fuel lines.
You saying to just replace the whole housing with a stock replacement and the part is TP1014 ?

yes just looked and sure enough the whole thing is $51.79. Need to find some videos on removing the old and installing the new one.

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,901 Posts
TP1014 is the housing, TP1015 is the filter that goes into the housing.

Here's a link for you:

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TP1014 is the housing, TP1015 is the filter that goes into the housing.

Here's a link for you:
Yes viper8315 said same and I see it on rock auto

looking for a video on removing the old unit to install this new one.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
You saying to just replace the whole housing with a stock replacement and the part is TP1014 ?

yes just looked and sure enough the whole thing is $51.79. Need to find some videos on removing the old and installing the new one.
Try opening the water drain to relieve any residue pressure.

But...

When you replace it with whatever solution you go for, two things you gotta do before you start.

Disconnect both batteries by removing the negatives.

Clean the area and the filter housing and lines and above and around the filter before you disconnect anything. I used brakeckean in the green can nonchlorinated dont use the red.

Replacing that housing makes a huge mess.

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,901 Posts
If going with another one, might I suggest just getting a new filter housing like this:

DmaxStore Billet Fuel Filter Housing (2017-2022 L5P / 2020-2022 LM2) | DMAX Store

You can then use a large cheater bar to get the plastic one off and replace it with this one. Won't matter if you ruin the old one if you have this to replace it with. I'd still suggest one of these for the new TP1014 unit, as you're only replacing the unit with the same thing, which will possibly do the same down the road.

Reactions: Denny3500

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

But...

When you replace it with whatever solution you go for, two things you gotta do before you start.

Clean the area and the filter housing and lines and above and around the filter before you disconnect anything. I used brakeckean in the green can nonchlorinated dont use the red.

Yes thanks. Both batteries have to also be disconnected ?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

But...

The water drain is that small hex nut in the middle of the larger 36mm one ?

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
Yes thanks. Both batteries have to also be disconnected ?
The water drain is that small hex nut in the middle of the larger 36mm one ?
Yes you have to disconnect batteries because if a door is opened or a connection made or someone hits the remote start the computer can wake up and possibly activate the lift pump, fuel will go everywhere or it could set a cel.

Yes it's the torx screw in the center. Anytime you remove a diesel fuel filter that has a water drain open the drain first. If I remember right its a t40 torx

· Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. I think these void the warranty though ??
You could ask the dealer to do the work (install) for you any aftermarket parts for your fuel system so there are no questions on "work performed" that caused the issues (if any occur) that the dealership cannot come back to you on...?

Yeah, I know the cost would be up there but in the end, they did the work so no issues with the warranty.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts