Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
I had this same issue and nothing would take it off. I eventually had to drop the entire filter housing. Put it on the ground and spin it off on the ground. I bought a billet aluminum replacement that the 36mm Socket can actually grab on now. It was a total PIA!

· Registered
2018 GMC 3500 HD Duramax SRW
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I had this same issue and nothing would take it off. I eventually had to drop the entire filter housing. Put it on the ground and spin it off on the ground. I bought a billet aluminum replacement that the 36mm Socket can actually grab on now. It was a total PIA!
Yea I think I’ll have to drop It too in order to spin it off. I have ordered the same billet cap.

I have no idea hot this happened

· Registered
52 Posts
Hello all

sorry was not sure where to post this. I have a 2018 gmc 3500 SRW Duramax denali and I cannot remove the fuel filter canister. I have tried even using a long bar to get leverage but it will not budge. Help ?

looking for help on how to remove this It appears to be a plastic that even though I have the 36 mm socket might strip.

do I have to cut the cap off somehow and replace it ? Any help would be great

thanks !
Light Product Automotive tire Font Screenshot

· Administrator
3,292 Posts
That screams cheap Chinese clone. You couldn't pay me to put that on my truck. An entire fuel system is in the neighborhood of $10k.

· Registered
360 Posts
I used to use a screwdriver punched through the filter, but now I use a strap wrench when I can't get a filter off. I do most of my own work on our vehicles, but in the middle of winter I will bring whatever vehicle it is to a shop to have the oil changed including filters if need be.

The strap wrench has never failed me. Don't get me started on the oil drain plug when someone else drains the oil. I've gone off on the shop many times for overtightening that plug.

· Registered
2018 2500 LTZ Z71 Custom Sport
15 Posts
Yea that is why I stopped worried about the socket slipping

I am handy and plan to keep,it awhile. Ideas or recommendations on aftermarket improvement ?
Check Black Market performance in Utah. Conversion so you can use a CAT spin on filter. Removes the entire GM plastic filter. Replaced my 2018 filter shortly after I bought it. Cat filters are about $20.00 and are twice the size of the GM filter. Been runnin this set up for about 3 1/2 years. 17-19 BMP L5P Duramax Cat Fuel Filter Adapter

· Registered
52 Posts
Used an impact wrench and socket to remove then replaced with this billet aluminum
That screams cheap Chinese clone. You couldn't pay me to put that on my truck. An entire fuel system is in the neighborhood of $10k.
why? As long as you use the AC Delco made in America filter the cap is billet aluminum that will take a socket and impact if needed. I don’t understand your abhorrence to aluminum made in China. If it’s china manufacture you are so against then if you removed all Chinese stuff from your rig it wouldn’t get out of the driveway. Every chip in your rig is made in china.

· Registered
306 Posts
Hello all

sorry was not sure where to post this. I have a 2018 gmc 3500 SRW Duramax denali and I cannot remove the fuel filter canister. I have tried even using a long bar to get leverage but it will not budge. Help ?

looking for help on how to remove this It appears to be a plastic that even though I have the 36 mm socket might strip.

thanks !
Have you tried a strap wrench or oil filter pliers?

· Registered
52 Posts
Hello all

thanks !
I was to the point of dropping entire unit but decided before dropping I would try an air impact and socket, worked like a charm, I guess the hammering and vibration loosened it. I replaced with the aluminum cap

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,876 Posts
Hopefully you put a light coat of oil on the rubber o rings before installing this time.

· Administrator
3,292 Posts
Used an impact wrench and socket to remove then replaced with this billet aluminum

why? As long as you use the AC Delco made in America filter the cap is billet aluminum that will take a socket and impact if needed. I don’t understand your abhorrence to aluminum made in China. If it’s china manufacture you are so against then if you removed all Chinese stuff from your rig it wouldn’t get out of the driveway. Every chip in your rig is made in china.
Fair point... But read the reviews and look at the pictures on that particular product. There are people complaining that the threads are messed up out of the box. It also comes with a god knows where it's made fuel filter.
I thought there was an American made version of this product somewhere.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,633 Posts

Quality and dimensional accuracy? Proper finishing so it doesn't cut the o-ring seals? Proper aluminum alloy strength to handle an impact?

China isn't known for getting any of this stuff right unless they are making it to spec for someone else. Even then it's sometimes sketchy. China made Delco brake rotors are a good example.

Delco filter is not made in the US (Checz Republic or Poland) and it isn't perfect either (do a search on here about it tearing).

· Registered
1 Posts
You saying to just replace the whole housing with a stock replacement and the part is TP1014 ?

yes just looked and sure enough the whole thing is $51.79. Need to find some videos on removing the old and installing the new one.
The biggest problem is that the outer housing is just plastic including the threads. This doesn't make for an easy removal or installation. I have been told that it is better to go with a new "Metal" housing.

· Administrator
3,292 Posts
@Denny3500 , just as a different school of thought here...if you lube the o rings, use an actual torque wrench and tighten the plastic cap properly you'll be fine. I'm at 62k miles with 6 filter changes with the original plastic head and cap.
Personally, I'd put the money towards ditching the factory setup all together and get the VXE setup. 🤷‍♂️

· Administrator
3,292 Posts
Ok, so I'm doing this from memory, so the numbers might not be exact.

There are two different torque specs, one for the bowl, and one for the drain.

There is also a procedure, so 2+.5 Nm means first tighten to 2 Nm, then set the wrench to 2.5 Nm for final torque. The 2 Nm applies to the drain plug.

The bowl is 25 Nm + 5 Nm (once again, check what the bowl says)

2Nm is 17.7 in lbs

25 Nm is 18.4 ft lbs

21 - 40 of 57 Posts