Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 3500 with 7750 miles on it and fuel filter collapsed and costed me 9k. I think the filter is a very poor design and I shouldn't be liable for it. I promise you if there isn't already there will be a class action suite over the the fuel filter. 9k is some serious money in less than 8 thousand miles on the truck.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No doubt GM knows about the issue. Far too many to ignore at this point. File a nhtsa complaint please.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have a 2022 3500 with 7750 miles on it and fuel filter collapsed and costed me 9k. I think the filter is a very poor design and I shouldn't be liable for it. I promise you if there isn't already there will be a class action suite over the the fuel filter. 9k is some serious money in less than 8 thousand miles on the truck.
You had to pay for the repair?

·
Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
971 Posts
Any pics of the bad filter?

At that low a mileage, that is totally on GM. Even if you got absolute crap fuel, the fuel filters job is to stop the crap from getting to your engine, not load up with crap, fail, and let it all go anyways.

Where are you located? Does your state have some kind of process you can use?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No warranty on a brand new truck ? There has to be a lot more to the story the OP is leaving out.
Doubt it, dealer blames the customer via contaminated fuel, denies coverage. Simple as that. Hopefully we'll find out.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
706 Posts
This one has me curious, Hope the op gets it worked out and looking forward to what info he can offer to help keep the rest of us out this type of situation.

👀
🍿

·
Registered
2022 2500HD Custom Duramax
50 Posts
I am still wondering what a collapsed fuel filter looks like. I don't believe bad fuel would collapse a fuel filter. I do think a pressure difference in the fuel system would. If the filter is actually collapsed, there must have been a large enough pressure difference in the system to create enough vacuum on the filter to collapse it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's a 22, fuel system , incl filter, is pressurized to 60 psi from an in tank pump. Filters are cheaply made and the center section blows apart leaving a direct path for unfiltered fuel.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD Custom Duramax
50 Posts
It's a 22, fuel system , incl filter, is pressurized to 60 psi from an in tank pump. Filters are cheaply made and the center section blows apart leaving a direct path for unfiltered fuel.
That makes sense. I was imagining an intact filter being collapsed. What filter do you use to hopefully prevent such an issue?

·
Registered
971 Posts
There are a few solutions on the market, some IMO better than others. If I had a stock fuel tank I would buy the runvse unit as it most closely mimicks the proper function of the stock unit (without using a sh!t filter).

I installed a big fuel tank, so no room for the runvse to sit nice, so I will be adding a secondary filter after the stock unit as a failsafe. Currently figuring it all out.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Doubt it, dealer blames the customer via contaminated fuel, denies coverage. Simple as that. Hopefully we'll find out.
Well since the OP did not give all the details that falls under there is more to the story.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Duramax 2500HD Denali, Xpel, Ceramic, Banks iDash, PedalMonster, Banks Diff cover, Banks CAI
106 Posts
Def would like more details here, is this from someone who has stake in runvse? I know, I know its become my nature from working in Information Security :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
OP never said it was bad fuel. Yes, we'd all like to hear the complete story

·
Super Moderator
2,759 Posts
It also wouldn't "collapse" per say, the inner element blows out. The filter is under pressure, not vacuum.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have never seen one in person just pictures. The Mann filter does appear to be made poorly but as far as I could tell it was just that final membrane that had a tear. Which is bad but the fuel comes in the outside and out the center so the fuel is filtered by the outer layer media. Is that outer layer media failing also ?

Reactions: jaquima
1 - 20 of 171 Posts