Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help- My repair center wants me to pay for cracked housing. They replaced the fuel filter 2-3 weeks ago & now the check engine light came on & they said it's because of the housing being cracked. I think they cracked it when they replaced the fuel filter. Any comments/suggestions...or am I totally off base?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I wouldn't see how they could crack it, unless they overtightened the filter. But I would think the threads would probably strip in the filter before that happened, but I could be wrong.

I would say if they did crack it when they did it, the CEL would have came on sooner.

#1 reason I do all the work I possibly can on my own.

I know the housings have been known to crack on their own.

Have you brought this up to the servicer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John- boy, that was quick...perhaps I have it wrong...but I did suggest that perhaps there might have been a problem when they replaced the fuel filter...it's seems so very coincidental. So, they said something about "cracked" and unit that houses blah blah, fuel heater..blah blah...part costs $600 bucks...it's cracked. So, 2 days after they replaced fuel filter I went on vacation...truck sat for a week...got back 2 work & check engine light came on...but had to go to body shop 'cuz someone hit in the parking lot (fender bender on rear quarter) while on vacation...so, out of body shop & back to repair shop. Not driven for more than 3-4 days before light came on...So, they are not a dealer...and I specifically asked if they had the tool to replace the filter & they said no...but they've done 'em before so shouldn't be a problem. So, before I become big witchy woman wanna make sure I have my facts straight... Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
The part is like 135 or so. They are trying to take you for a ride. There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. If I was at home I could search for you but I am on my blackerry & it is a PITA to search. The forum is blocked at work for search & sign in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny, they are telling me that the housing & heater are all one unit...and that's why it's so expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...so, more clarification...they are saying the fuel heater is shorting out and blowing fuses...

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I remember Merchant Automotive used to carry them but not seeing them on their site now.

Can look at gmpartsdirect.com too

Fill out your signature when you get a chance so that we know what truck your driving.

Also, I would change it yourself, it is super easy and requires very few tools.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
oh....What specific codes is it popping?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Check out this thread: duramaxforum.com/forum/07-5-2010-lmm-duramax-powertrain/69087-warning-filter-head-ripoff-did-they-look-up-wrong-part.html

If the part number isn't in that thread, do an advanced search for threads started by user rascal810. He said the part he ordered was the filter head, WIF sensor, and filter for like 138. Its about the same on gmpartsdirect.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, the mechanic gave the code to the boss & he's at lunch...but he's saying the heater is shorting out & popping fuses...so...maybe they got the new filter caught up in heater wires?

And...figured out how to update the sig...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS. John- I don't like getting grease under my fingernails anymore...and these newer versions of vehicles scare me a bit with all the computer mumbo jumbo (last vehicle I worked on myself was my old '69 Firebird)

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The engine will run just fine if you leave the heater connector off-- and it will not trigger a check engine light. Unless they changed it on the new vehicles. The heater only comes on if the filter head temperature is below freezing-- and it is a tiny heater so it does not do much. It will not cause a start/running problem, unless it is sucking air.

The DuraMax Store (vendor) sells new -- rebuilt-- or parts to rebuild the filter pump assy. All at a reasonable price.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
PS. John- I don't like getting grease under my fingernails anymore...and these newer versions of vehicles scare me a bit with all the computer mumbo jumbo (last vehicle I worked on myself was my old '69 Firebird)
Haha....it really is easy.

You loosen up the 2 fuel lines (Pinch Clamps) and take them off.

Unplug the Water in Fuel sensor on the bottom.

Unplug the Fuel Heater on the top.

Unscrew the 3 small bolts and voila.....replace with new one.

Might want to take the filter and water in flow sensor off first though.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Glad to find this ^^^! Mine cracked:mad::mad:

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.