Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my second fuel filter change on my 2018 duramax today with some disappointing results. After changing the filter the first time I purchased a extra fuel bowl and drain plug from GM, not that expensive and wanted to spend less time under the truck. I removed the old filter and replaced the small o ring, put new o ring on new housing. Did filter swap and tightened everything up.

I let the truck idle for 5 minutes then checked for leaks and didn't see any. I then drove the truck about 10 miles returned home pulled in the shop to recheck the filter and found it did in fact have a small leak on both sides of the bowl. Of course I cannot locate just new o rings so I inspected the old housing and o ring and put it back on with new filter. Leak is gone.

After looking at the o ring that came with the new filter it just feels different and looks like has some flat spots on it. By the way I do lubricate the o rings before installing them. Yes I use a torque wrench and 1 7/16 socket to change filters.

Just a heads up and has anyone else had this happen and last but not least is there a part number for just the o rings on the filter bowl?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did my second fuel filter change on my 2018 duramax today with some disappointing results. After changing the filter the first time I purchased a extra fuel bowl and drain plug from GM, not that expensive and wanted to spend less time under the truck. I removed the old filter and replaced the small o ring, put new o ring on new housing. Did filter swap and tightened everything up.

I let the truck idle for 5 minutes then checked for leaks and didn't see any. I then drove the truck about 10 miles returned home pulled in the shop to recheck the filter and found it did in fact have a small leak on both sides of the bowl. Of course I cannot locate just new o rings so I inspected the old housing and o ring and put it back on with new filter. Leak is gone.

After looking at the o ring that came with the new filter it just feels different and looks like has some flat spots on it. By the way I do lubricate the o rings before installing them. Yes I use a torque wrench and 1 7/16 socket to change filters.

Just a heads up and has anyone else had this happen and last but not least is there a part number for just the o rings on the filter bowl?
Hi diegokid -
I experienced the exact same issue on my 2018 3500HD after changing out the o-rings and filter with an OEM replacement. It was a 2-min job, and I had leaks similar as you describe, and only after taking it down the road. There was no issue after prime, nor at idle. The truck was purchased brand new, and this was the first fuel filter change. After re-replacing the o-ring on the bowl with the original did the leaking slow. I'm still not confident I've got it figured out, and will keep an eye on it over the next couple days. I'm lost on how to approach it, really. If it continues, I suppose I'll have to spring on the $130 my local dealership wants to charge. I didn't find that anyone is recommending any type of lubricant to be used, and clean diesel fuel is supposed to be enough.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
I didn't find that anyone is recommending any type of lubricant to be used, and clean diesel fuel is supposed to be enough.
Vaseline, used in 2 stroke engines to lube and hold the needle bearings on the crank and rods during rebuild. It is used because it is fuel soluble, and burns with no ash deposits like automotive grease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks 407driver -
I’ve just pulled the filter for the 3rd time and put a thin coat of Vaseline around the gasket. I also followed the torque spec; 25.5nm == 19ft/lb. so far, so good. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
I was talking about the O-Rings. but if it works on the gasket too you are welcome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts