Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So this morning went to take my kids to school, truck started up no problem. However after driving about 200 ft it bogged down and DIC came on saying to change fuel filter. When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. So I have no idea what's going on. It is a '15 Silverado 2500 LML D-Max. Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...

·
Ain't lookin' back
274 Posts
How many miles do you have on the filter? If it's over 10K, I'd just change the filter.

·
Ain't lookin' back
274 Posts
I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
For ease of mind, I'd replace it. Furthermore, I would replace all the fluids/filters as well. The "seller" could have replaced it in August, maybe of last year.

Nevertheless, congrats on the purchase. Re-baseline your maintenance schedule by replacing all the fluids and filters. That way you know what's in there and when it had been replaced.

Just my thoughts...

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,296 Posts
When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. .....

Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...

....I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
Doesn't sound good, sry. :frown2:
Fuel filter life per DIC %, is 10+k miles.
Perhaps like @dlsolo suggested, maybe August of '18 (or the PO forgot to clear the DIC %).

It is possible though, since your fuel source differs from the previous owner...could be bad fuel related.
OR....
If you've been fueling up with B10/B20 bio, and the fuel system has never seen it, it can act like a solvent and clean out the black asphaltines coating all of the surfaces, which can quickly clog up a fuel filter.

Install a new TP3018 filter. If it is a Bio scenario, it will continue to flush things out (& clean injectors), and lube up the whole fuel system.
So having an extra filter on hand, might be prudent.

I would be cutting open the old filter to inspect for metal though. :|

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
For ease of mind, I'd replace it. Furthermore, I would replace all the fluids/filters as well. The "seller" could have replaced it in August, maybe of last year.

Nevertheless, congrats on the purchase. Re-baseline your maintenance schedule by replacing all the fluids and filters. That way you know what's in there and when it had been replaced.

Just my thoughts...
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to start putting some wrench time in. Was planning on doing a lift pump in the near future when I was gonna do the filter. I was more just concerned about the fact it went from 90's on the DIC to failure overnight. Wondering if anyone ever seen or heard of that before?
Thanks for advice

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Hey all. So this morning went to take my kids to school, truck started up no problem. However after driving about 200 ft it bogged down and DIC came on saying to change fuel filter. When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. So I have no idea what's going on. It is a '15 Silverado 2500 LML D-Max. Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...

i had the same issue, ended up being a bad filter head. replaced it, added in the relocation bracket while i was at it, havent looked back since. If it was the CP4, you would know about it pretty quickly, my understanding is its not a very gradual failure and basically goes from working great to not starting period.

I believe in my case the filter head was leaking enough air into the system to cause it to detect a fuel restriction. The change was immediate after replacing the head, and i was around a similar mileage to you.

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to start putting some wrench time in. Was planning on doing a lift pump in the near future when I was gonna do the filter. I was more just concerned about the fact it went from 90's on the DIC to failure overnight. Wondering if anyone ever seen or heard of that before?
Thanks for advice

i went from 90% and change to 0 % instantly on the highway without even turning the truck off. there was no sounds, change in power ect, just the dash warning showing me what i thought was a CP4 failure about to happen. Ended up replacing the filter head after a few comments on this forum recommended it and its been running great for months now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar situation happen, fuel filter life went straight to zero while driving, reduced engine power notification as well. Changed the filter, helped for a bit, but the issue returned. Ended up pulling the bed and getting in the fuel tank, previous owner had dropped cardboard type seal off of a fuel additive bottle down the filler neck, would clog the pickup tube and starve the motor of fuel. Just a thought, make sure you don't have anything floating around the tank that shouldn't be there!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Good info, Austin. I've been guilty of letting a piece of that foil that covers the top of unopened additive bottles fall into the filler before. :(

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
What year is your truck?

If it is an 11-16 I think the first indication of a CP4 failure is that code. If that is the case, this is NOT good! 'uhNo

ANY other scenario would be a blessing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone ever had an issues with truck blowing white or blue smoke. Was running the truck on the highway for 10 minutes stopped at store and when I started it back up it was blowing white/blue smoke from exhaust. Only happen once, no change in power. It is a '15 Silverado LML, bone stock, just did the fuel filter 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone ever had an issues with truck blowing white or blue smoke. Was running the truck on the highway for 10 minutes stopped at store and when I started it back up it was blowing white/blue smoke from exhaust. Only happen once, no change in power. It is a '15 Silverado LML, bone stock, just did the fuel filter 3 weeks ago
what fuel filter did you use?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what fuel filter did you use?
AC delco

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got to mine through the fender. I have a 6" lift though and 35's so I didn't even need to pull the tire, just remove the fender well.

. just did the fuel filter 3 weeks ago
Changing the filter.....
How are you accessing the filter. From top or thru fender well? I can not figure the best /easier way. This is a stock 2016 LML. Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Blackjack fuel filter panel.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Changing the filter.....
How are you accessing the filter. From top or thru fender well? I can not figure the best /easier way. This is a stock 2016 LML. Thanks for the advise.
On LML it is necessary to go in thru the wheelwell.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Pre delete i would get a lot of white smoke, more in the winter, though i think it was mostly water vapor. Ive heard that leaking ERG coolers can cause white smoking though as coolant is introduced into the cylinder by the leaking cooler. Blue smoke would be burning oil, that should be unlikely on a truck this new, sure it wasn't just light black smoke?.

Changing the filter.....

This is by FAR the easiest way. 30 minute install of the kit, 2 minute filter changes there after. No wheel well liner, no reaching around tires. Done. *Does not work with dual alternators, ask me about my new 140 amp paperweight*

https://www.amazon.com/Duramax-Fuel-Filter-Relocation-2001-2010/dp/B07BJFCFQD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=western+diesel&qid=1574277391&sr=8-1

·
Registered
482 Posts
heres a question,,will the original dmax filter(2001-2010) fit the 2016 filter head?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,296 Posts
Same filter. The filter head difference is it has no fuel heater.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts