Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 2500hd. Every time I tow my camper I get stuck. The fuel filter goes to 0 % and no able to drive it. When I’m not towing it runs fine. Any ideas why this will happen?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Low fuel pressure. Could be need filter changed, collapsed fuel line, frp, cp3 or something else I might be forgetting

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,879 Posts
If you've changed your fuel filter, then next step is checking the fuel lines from tank to filter head. They tend to collapse when they get warm. When you step on it to get on the highway, go up a hill, or pass someone, the CP3 is pulling harder and the lines collapse under the vacuum.

If lines have been replaced already, you could have a bad fuel pressure release valve. That spring in the valve gets weak over time and will give out under lower pressure than it did when new. You can shim it, or buy the race plug.

I would start by checking your fuel lines and see if they are really soft. On a truck that's 13 years old this year, you might be doing yourself a favor by replacing them regardless.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Even if your truck is stock it would be a worthwhile investment to add a lift pump, just don't go crazy with one. A base line unit will work perfectly fine from FASS or AD. Many go the Kennedy route which is fine too. You will see more and more issues like this as the truck gets older and you are demanding more fuel under a load. A small amount of head pressure to the CP3 helps keep things happy. Dean

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Fuel filter head perhaps? If you haven't yet changed it or rebuilt it, the overdue clock may be ticking.

The filter head on my LMM starting leaking after 10 years but would only fail after a heavy tow.

Checking the fuel lines is also worth a look.

Just something to consider....

·
Registered
215 Posts
How late in a truck’s life can/should a lift pump be added? My ‘05 with 215k miles still has the original injectors as far as I know, so I’m wondering if the expense of that upgrade would really make a difference or not on the likelihood of having to replace the injectors.

·
Registered
686 Posts
How late in a truck’s life can/should a lift pump be added? My ‘05 with 215k miles still has the original injectors as far as I know, so I’m wondering if the expense of that upgrade would really make a difference or not on the likelihood of having to replace the injectors.
Not sure there is a wrong time to add a lift pump. I added a FASS 95 on my LMM in 2009 when the truck had about 40k on it. I currently have 185k on my truck and never replaced any injectors or had any fuel delivery issues. Filter head is still all original. Changed a couple of flow plugs but that has nothing to do with the lift pump. Like I have stated before you just need some slight positive pressure. 8 to 10 psi is considered normal. Above 10 you start causing CP3 issues on the low side of the pump. A big thing to consider is most of the 1/4 tank issues experienced on this trucks is from putting too much lift pump on your truck. You end up sucking the fuel out of your basket on the fuel sending unit faster than it can fill up. That is where many end up putting aftermarket sumps on the bottom of there fuel tanks. Remember a FASS 95/100 or an AD 100 can support demands of a diesel cranking up to 600 hp. Plenty for a stock or slightly warmed up Diesel engine. Dean

·
Registered
759 Posts
A lift pump will not save your injectors but it is a good thing to add. Check out Kennedy Diesel for the longest lasting, simple install, high volume-low pressure, no silly return line required, low amp draw, etc lift pump.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a 2009 2500hd. Every time I tow my camper I get stuck. The fuel filter goes to 0 % and no able to drive it. When I’m not towing it runs fine. Any ideas why this will happen?
Miles ?
How much vacuum are you pulling at the test port ?
Fuel temps ?
Codes ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found 2 rubber fuel hoses that are very soft when I squeeze them. I am replacing them tomorrow. One goes into the fuel filter and one comes out of the fuel filter. Will let you know the out come after testing with camper on it. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even if your truck is stock it would be a worthwhile investment to add a lift pump, just don't go crazy with one. A base line unit will work perfectly fine from FASS or AD. Many go the Kennedy route which is fine too. You will see more and more issues like this as the truck gets older and you are demanding more fuel under a load. A small amount of head pressure to the CP3 helps keep things happy. Dean
I have had issues with my truck for a couple years. Fixed the fuel line that was collapsing, still getting "low fuel rail pressure" code. Ended up replacing all injectors. Solved the problem for a year. Blew both power steering lines a month ago so fixed that. Now getting low turbo boost code (po299) so I am investigating what is going on there, then it dies and ended up losing prime. Been battling one thing after another but I want to get into a lift pump. What is a ball park figure on cost to have one added?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
If you are willing to do the work yourself, you can make a very functional lift pump for less than $100. Basic needs are the pump itself, wiring to provide power and ground to the pump, some fuel line, 2 fuel line adapters, a circuit to turn the pump on and off. Now that's bare-bones, no extra filtration, no emergency fuel shutoff. But it works. And for less than $100, if it solves your problem, you can expand the unit to include those other options as you wish and have time to install them. The pump I have used for over 10 years is an Airtex E8153. A quick check shows one price at about $42 shipped.

To be sure, you need to have some mechanical skills (but not many), and be willing to get dirty and do the work.

I have attached a document I found on the internet somewhere that shows some setups to give you an idea or 2 to see what others have done. I know there are other people who have posted very nice setups on this forum.

Attachments

Reactions: dave4avs

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are willing to do the work yourself, you can make a very functional lift pump for less than $100. Basic needs are the pump itself, wiring to provide power and ground to the pump, some fuel line, 2 fuel line adapters, a circuit to turn the pump on and off. Now that's bare-bones, no extra filtration, no emergency fuel shutoff. But it works. And for less than $100, if it solves your problem, you can expand the unit to include those other options as you wish and have time to install them. The pump I have used for over 10 years is an Airtex E8153. A quick check shows one price at about $42 shipped.

To be sure, you need to have some mechanical skills (but not many), and be willing to get dirty and do the work.

I have attached a document I found on the internet somewhere that shows some setups to give you an idea or 2 to see what others have done. I know there are other people who have posted very nice setups on this forum.
I am fairly mechanically inclined but don’t know a lot about diesels or circuitry. I haven’t wrapped my head around how the turbo works or how the fuel delivery works. Thanks for the info. Maybe once I get the low boost figured out I can look into this.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD, Double Cab, 5LP
10 Posts
I had a 2008 LMM. It had fuel delivery problems. There were two causes: 1) Fuel filter head leaked (sucked air) and 2) the fuel line entered the engine compartment almost vertical and turns 90 degrees over the engine: this turn was made by a piece of plastic tubing, which crimped at the 90 degree turn.

Solutions: 1) new or rebuilt filter head; 2) replace crimped plastic tube with a rubber tube that was more robust.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have had issues with my truck for a couple years. Fixed the fuel line that was collapsing, still getting "low fuel rail pressure" code. Ended up replacing all injectors. Solved the problem for a year. Blew both power steering lines a month ago so fixed that. Now getting low turbo boost code (po299) so I am investigating what is going on there, then it dies and ended up losing prime. Been battling one thing after another but I want to get into a lift pump. What is a ball park figure on cost to have one added?
Thanks.

I installed the FASS 95 back in 09 shortly after getting the truck. Noticed a immediate difference in idle quality and engine response. They state you can have better fuel economy but that is debatable. This has everything needed and has a simple bolt mount to the bed bolt. Only issue I have ever had was a weak fuel pressure about a couple years after installing it. FASS immediately sent me a new bypass ball and spring and took care of that. Excellent quality and a solid unit. Lifetime warranty. Easy enough to install yourself, I did mine in about 3 hours and I'm pretty picky on how everything is routed and tied up. Dean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts