Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

fuel filter

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mschn99 
#1 ·
SHould I open the bleeder valve and burp the gas cap before i change the fuel filter?

#2 ·
nope, you do it after you change the fuel filter. Also, you just open the bleeder screw and push that little button right next to the bleeder screw. That pumps fuel and gets rid of the air.

#4 ·
need help real bad

i just changed the fuel filter on my 02 D/A and can not get the truck to start and i mean no how. i have loosened the bleeder tightened it loosen tighten you name it pulled the filter back off made sure it was full of fuel did have to add some more.
are you serious about a button to push to run the fuel pump? if so where?

any ideas on how to get the air out?

#5 ·
you might wanna try turning the key on for 10 secs then off then again and see if that works or turn the key on bump the engine with the starter and see if that works that how we do it on our cummins

#6 ·
ptfd1819 said:
i just changed the fuel filter on my 02 D/A and can not get the truck to start and i mean no how. i have loosened the bleeder tightened it loosen tighten you name it pulled the filter back off made sure it was full of fuel did have to add some more.
are you serious about a button to push to run the fuel pump? if so where?

any ideas on how to get the air out?
You have to open the bleeder screw and pump the primer several times until fuel comes out the bleeder screw. (pump is thing that sticks up right next to the bleeder screw) Then, you close the bleeder and try and start....repeat until truck stays running. Normally when I change my filter I just change the filter..start the truck and let it run until it dies...and then bleed the air out. Duramax's don't have lift pumps that prime the system ( it just pulls the fuel and doesn't push). As far as adding fuel to the filter, it is a bad idea since it it will be unfiltered going to the engine. Check this thread out on dieselplace.com: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508

#7 ·
Just for the record the bleeder screw is the litle black screw on the top of the filter mount not the drain in the bottom, i've seen guys make that mistake before. and the primer is right next to that pump it about 20 to 30 times untill fuel comes out of the bleeder then it should fire right up!!!!!

#8 ·
got it

i found an online manual for the duramax and was able to identify the mystery of the button next to the primer. now it is all set.

i would like to hunt the engineer who placed that filter there down and well have a talk. not bashing chevy here cause that is all i drive but one time in had a ford and the filter was right up front took like 3 seconds to change.

filled the filter based on what i read here on the forum but agree with you on the non filter part now that i know how to prime should be all set.

thinking about running some cleaner through as i have no history on this truck what do you guys think?

#9 ·
I run a cleaner additive almost every tank, i ve been running power service in the white bottle for a while now it seem to help a bit with mileage but not enough to make any big claims! As for the filter designer, give him a kick for me also. Have you changed any 6oh powerjoke filters? the engine one isnt bad but the one under the frame is a pain u alswys end up with fuel running up your shirt sleeve and down your back.....

Later
Caleb

#10 ·
05_LLY said:
I run a cleaner additive almost every tank, i ve been running power service in the white bottle for a while now it seem to help a bit with mileage but not enough to make any big claims! As for the filter designer, give him a kick for me also. Have you changed any 6oh powerjoke filters? the engine one isnt bad but the one under the frame is a pain u alswys end up with fuel running up your shirt sleeve and down your back.....

Later
Caleb
the 6.0 ones arent bad if you drain the housing first.....there is a drain plug that you can pull...

#12 ·
Monster truck said:
you might wanna try turning the key on for 10 secs then off then again and see if that works or turn the key on bump the engine with the starter and see if that works that how we do it on our cummins

This dosent work on our trucks since there is no lift pump on them!!!

But if you add a lift pump then yes it works!

#13 ·
05_LLY said:
Where is the drain plug, dose it drain the line so that the filter on the frame rail is drained also?

Thanx
Caleb
the drain plug is an allen recessed plug, towards the bottom of the actual filter housing, approx 2-3 inches in front of the cap itself.......it is very soft metal, so be carefull......it is on the actual framerail moutned fuel filter housing, and it makes it so a minimal amount (what is trapped in the filter) of fuel comes out.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.