Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Fass 150 Titanium Lift Pump. When I install it, what should I doo at the stock filter location? Leave it stock? Get the Nictane adapter? Put a delete kit on it?

Premium Member
The adapter is a waste of $$ so you can use a lesser filter.
Just run the Racor Coalescer at the filter head. A 3rd catch-all guard, plus a way to prime if the LP fails.

Registered
x2^^^

Registered
Just run the Racor Coalescer at the filter head. A 3rd catch-all guard, plus a way to prime if the LP fails.
You think that the CAT 1R-0750 2-micron filter is inferior? Base on what?
The Nicktane adapter also provides the option of using the Fleetguard 1-micron filters.

The lift pump potentially increase the availability of the fuel to the injectors but burning more fuel means having more particles going into the high pressure common rail system and hitting the injectors at high speed (considering the 29,000 PSI with the LML for example).

The Racor Coalescer filter is a 4-micron filter just like the ACDelco and that translates into over 240,000 particles getting injected into the solenoids with each and every gallon of diesel fuel that is burned. 98.7% filtration sounds great until you realize that there are more than 18 million particles in a gallon of diesel sold in the USA and that a 4-micron filter still allows 6-micron and 8-micron particles to pass through the media and into the high pressure fuel system.

The Racor filter is designed to provide longer life and better water separation not to be more effective at fuel filtration. The only stock filter replacement that improves on the ACDelco in fuel filtration is the Baldwin BF9882. The Baldwin also retains the WIF sensor function which is lost with a Nicktane or other adapter and a CAT or other fuel filter.

Most maintenance being done is overkill but with regard to fuel filtration there can never be too much and more frequent filter changes actually makes for less effective filtration as fuel filters are most effective when they are loaded. The way to improve filtration is with a better filter that contains a more effective media material and design that traps smaller size particles from day one.

Premium Member
Base on what?
ISO testing standards have changed.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...iscussion/539873-fuel-filter.html#post6836953

You're better off putting that $100 adapter cost towards extra filtration and a small lift pump for positive pressure.

1-14 thread filter heads (std Cat thread) can be had for $30 ($18/group buy), and a lift pump can be had for as little as $50-$75. Add in some $$ for fuel line and clamps and minimal wiring, you're in for under $200, with a true FWS and a fine particulate secondary filter. Add the Racor or Baldwin at the OEM filter head as a 3rd catch-all backup.

Now that's ^^ the ultimate in protection; water, air, and particulates. Add in a lubricity additive and you've covered everything possible to prolong the pump/injector life.

With money left over for Santa. :grinn

Registered
deleted mine, and you can still prime.

FASS and a few diesel guys I know with experience and I trust all say the same thing, delete the factory fuel filter. You will get all the benefit of the flow and less restriction. Ever so slightly, but still a benefit in the end

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to stick with the redundancy of the lift pump and a filter at the factory location. I want the extra filtration to keep my injectors as clean as possible, cause I can't afford new ones right now. I will most likely go with the Racor Coalescer to have the extra water filtration too.

Registered
ISO testing standards have changed.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...iscussion/539873-fuel-filter.html#post6836953

You're better off putting that $100 adapter cost towards extra filtration and a small lift pump for positive pressure.

1-14 thread filter heads (std Cat thread) can be had for $30 ($18/group buy), and a lift pump can be had for as little as $50-$75. Add in some $$ for fuel line and clamps and minimal wiring, you're in for under $200, with a true FWS and a fine particulate secondary filter. Add the Racor or Baldwin at the OEM filter head as a 3rd catch-all backup.

Now that's ^^ the ultimate in protection; water, air, and particulates. Add in a lubricity additive and you've covered everything possible to prolong the pump/injector life.

With money left over for Santa. :grinn
What lift pump do you know of round 50-75 dollars? Just curious

Registered
What's the diff between the AC Delco fuel filter & the Racor filter? Also wanted to know if I only need to "hand tighten" the fuel filter or use a strap wrench to tighten it down more?

Premium Member
No difference in the filters, I usually tighten mine a little with a strap wrench just don't get to rough with it.

Registered
Thanks mray!

Premium Member
No problem!

Premium Member
What lift pump do you know of round 50-75 dollars? Just curious
Carter, NAPA,...
I've seen several variants in that price range and up.

Registered
So I replaced my fuel filter yesterday (AC/Delco because it was easy to find and my DIC said 20% left) but I noticed my WIF wire was not at on the bottom of the filter? I just bought the truck its and 05 GMC. I see a two wire connected to the top of the of the pump is this the WIF wire and when did they put it on the top of the pump instead of on the fillter?

Premium Member
No, that's to the fuel heater (red/black). Follow those wires to the 1st plug. The WIF sensor wires' plug will be bundled there at the same point.

Premium Member
The WIF wires get brittle and break-- there should be a connector at the valvecover where they plug into the harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts