Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving truck i felt the truck start to loss power i pulled over so as i did it died. I got a code saying low fuel pressure my gauge cluster has been broke for a few weeks i thought i might be out of fuel so i put a few gallons in. Now i really dont think i did run out of fuel but i checked bleeder screw on fuel filter pumped it and got fuel out of it.
I have not change my fuel filter in 2 oil changes i know im over due bad fuel filter cause low fuel pressure? truck wont start it all.:help:help

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Hey man I had the same problem with my 03 LB7. I ran it way to low on fuel and it sucked up all the shit from the bottom of my tank which clogged my filter so I took it to a shop and they charged me $300 to replace and prime the filter so... I would try changing the filter thats all it took for me.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Hey man I had the same problem with my 03 LB7. I ran it way to low on fuel and it sucked up all the shit from the bottom of my tank which clogged my filter so I took it to a shop and they charged me $300 to replace and prime the filter so... I would try changing the filter thats all it took for me.
I checked my tank, and my pick up straw is at the bottom of the tank, and always draws fuel from the bottom. LOL Don't matter if it is full or down to the last drop. :rolleyes:

This is an old myth-- that won't die. :D

The fuel filter did it's job, and stopped the dirty fuel from entering the injection system. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update thanks the the reply after a new fuel fliter 5 gallons of fuel and about 30 mins of priming i got it to start no idea if i ran out of fuel or it was the fuel filter. either case time to stop driving around with no gauge cluster lol. I still cant believe how much you have to prime it also had to crank it over for a good 15 secs.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
If it really is a myth then how does a fairly new fuel filter get so clogged so fast?? And no I'm not running dirty diesel. There will always be junk at the bottom of the tank that can potentially get sucked up easier when your running low on fuel. Not trying to be rude at all so I'm sorry if I come across that way. :eek:

red450r I'm glad to hear you got everything figured out!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
No Problem-- not rude-- just a debate!

The fuel always gets sloshed around, when you stop, take off from a stop, turn a corner-- the fuel is always moving-- and mixing with what ever is in the tank. That fuel is used by the engine -- after is is run through the filter. The only thing that will not mix, is anything that is stuck to the bottom and sides, and that ain't going up the draw straw anyway.

Now if something is floating on top of the fuel, and does not get saturated with the fuel, it will go to the bottom of the tank and may get sucked up the straw-- if the fuel was low. Cannot think of anything that would continue to float is the tank anyway.

The only way a fiilter gets clogged, is because the fuel is dirty. Most large truck stops have a filter attached to the diesel pumps-- just to provide a little cleaner fuel.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Thanks Jerry I learned something new today!:drink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts