Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 08 that he bought used. The problem is that his fuel gauge is reading about 1/4 tank lower than it actually is. We tested it to my duramax the last time we went camping. The dealer that he bought the truck from told him it was because the previous owner never let the tank get below 1/4 of a tank. They told him if he would just keep running it down then eventually it would reset. Well he has been doing this for awhile and it is still reading lower than it actually is. Has anyone got any suggestions on something he can try. Or have you ever heard of this problem. I know the older duramax trucks have had problems with the sending unit, but not sure about the newer trucks. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The dealer that he bought the truck from told him it was because the previous owner never let the tank get below 1/4 of a tank. They told him if he would just keep running it down then eventually it would reset.
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, sounds like a typical dealer just trying to BS his way thro a sale... I dont have any real advice for ya but some body will be here soon that will prob be able to help

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I would say that it is probably the sending unit. they seem to enjoy going out/getting mis-calibrated. It never hurts to check the resistance before dropping the tank for the sender just in case there is a short somewhere in your wiring. Should be at 0 empty and 80ohms full. hope it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say that it is probably the sending unit. they seem to enjoy going out/getting mis-calibrated. It never hurts to check the resistance before dropping the tank for the sender just in case there is a short somewhere in your wiring. Should be at 0 empty and 80ohms full. hope it helps.
So how would I check the resistance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts