Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my 2003 gmc sierra 3500 with the duramax has been showing it is out of fuel with the light on for a while now. ( yes it is full of fuel and both tanks are working including the transfer pump ) i have replaced sending units on both the main and auxillayr tanks, inspected wiring and to no luck. i have however noticed that when i turn the ignition on the needle moves just barely over empty but as soon as i start it it drops back below the empty mark.

i have heard of cluster problems related to my trucks year and have also noticed that most of my lights in the cluster on the right side are out, all of my other gauges function properly also.

question is where should i go from here? is there a common ground for the cluster and the fuel senders i can check...???im stumped here

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
It might be your stepper motor for the fuel gauge. They are cheap and you can buy them on ebay. They are easy to replace as I`ve done mine.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The stepper motor will not trigger the light--

The problem is the fuel sender-- or the wire to the sender. Remove the connection at the sender-- the fuel gauge should swing all the way past full. If you ground the wire, it should go to empty. If it does this-- you need a tank unit. They are $$$.

If you are handy, you can find this-- and just replace the resistor part--Dorman 911-005. It only costs abt $30, and you fit it in your tank unit. Dorman has made auto parts since abt 1930. Google found it-- Amazon-- Summit-- and some auto parts stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive already done both senders.... if i remove plugs from either tanks sending unit the gauge does not move and still reads empty. maybe a grounding issue??? or is my gauge bad??

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts