Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help i have seached on here, and read of other havin the same issue that anywhere from between 18-20 gallons your tank reads empty and GM did this to help ppl not run out of diesel.

well im not an idiot and id fill up before it ever ran out of fuel. so is there a quick way to fix this issue? or do i have to purchase a new sender that will correct this issue? any help in the right direction is appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine does the same thing, i have the 26 gal tank. MY fuel used indicator seems to be pretty accurate (within .1/.2 varience) so i am sure i keep an eye on that and be good.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You can mess with the values with EFI live, which is what most guys do to be honest. Most of the time the sensors only get replaced due to the fuel gauge being completely inoperable or reading extremely off. From my personal experience at least, just due to the cost of a new sender. Do some research on the subject on here if this route still interests you however, because i believe there is a post somewhere in one of the threads about it mentioning an inexpensive fuel sender fix if you're willing to pull it out and disassemble to change out a certain specific electrical part. Gets a little intricate but it ends up being >100 iirc.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Here is the repair kit--

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Dorman 911-005

If you remove the bed-- you can watch the gauge, as you change the float resistance. By bending the float arm, you will change the read-out.

The EFI is a great way to modify the gauge reading, but you do have to buy a license, and know someone that has the program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why doesn’t the factory recognize the problem and handle it. I started to call GM and complain. I know of 12 GMC trucks with this problem, Just in my area, so it’s a recall issue if you ask me. I told GM to step up to the plate and fix this. So far I get a "we will get back with you". If enough people call something will change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the dash replaced in my 2007 duramax three times and today it is screwed up again the needle is burried as far as it can go when I get fuel. it said I had half a tank but the low fuel light was on FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts