Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel heater?....should be in the LLY side...Ooops

Howdy folks, neat forum. I have a couple questions and this seems like the place. It's lengthy so bear with me.

I just bought a '05 LLY Chev and it's given me a couple of problems right off the bat. One the morning it lost power and went into the limp mode (I think it's the limp mode anyways) and the check engine light came on. Well the code was P0087 low fuel rail pressure. I read in the manual about fuel gelling up when it's cold (ambient temp is only -10 F here) so I pulled the filter and let it thaw out for the night. I also put some anti-gel in the tank. Next morning I put the filter back on and it still showed the symptoms of a cloged filter, but then after letting it run for about 15 minutes it cleared up. Hmm, I though, ok. So I thought I was good until it did it again the next morning, but now the check engine light didn't come on (I kept my foot out of it, maybe that didn't cause a demand for fuel).....this time I put a brand new filter in it. Thought I was good again untill it did it again this morning and the P0087 came back...then went out eventualy and it all cleared up after it got warmed up for a while. Wierd.

So, I am wondering is there a fuel heater in the filter head that needs some time to warm up? After I let the truck warm up a bit (longer than I would for my old 350) it seems to be good. It's at the dealer now getting something else fixed (stupid camper mirror) and I told them to check this out too. They said since it has #2 diesel in it that could cause it, even with anti-gel. They also said they've seen problems with the filter head. I didn't think to ask about a heater in it though. Is there one? Would the transmission being cold having anything to do with this either? Like I said, -10F abmient, but wind chill is much colder. I'm under the impression that wind chill temps don't bother vehicles, just us. Any thoughts? Thanks guys, you're class acts.....

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel issues

I was thinking the bad fuel too maybe, but I don't know shit about this truck. It's bone stock with tick over 60000 miles. I have a Superchips programer for it, but I've only had the truck for a week, so I haven't really screwed with it. I just got it back from the dealer (real quick turn around) and they said they found a restriction in the fuel filter head. I hope that fixes it. Cool truck, lots of power. It gets sideways a lot more than I thought it would. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts