Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I apologize if this is an old and worn issue.....I have a 2002 Duramax with 69,000 miles. To make the story brief, the vehicle had been running well until yesterday when for several reasons I began to suspect that there was fuel in the crankcase. I drained five gallons (!) of fuel/oil out. The truck is now at my dealership, having been towed there. I am told the immediate problem is covered by an extended warranty on the injector system. I am also led to believe that this is not an uncommon problem with Duramax as the age. My question concerns the future....I have no idea how long I have been running diluted fuel in the crankcase. What does this portend for the future? Bearings, seals and who knows what. Are there suggestions as to what to do from here?

Thanks for your advice,

Craig

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's a chance you did no damage to the engine if you are not a hot-dogger, or compete with your truck. I would have a talk with the service manager at the dealership and ask everything you are concerned about. They should be replacing all the injectors, not just the defective ones. There is a post from a guy that suggests telling the service manager that you have been experiencing low power to help them decide to replace all 8 injectors, a search for the post should find it.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
I read something on another forum that GM claims no problems with this issue of fuel in the oil. I wish I remember where I read it, but as long as you didn't run it very long with it that way, you should be ok. The injectors should be covered under the special policy for the 7yr/200,000 miles. It should cost you nothing for this too. (no 100 deductable)

·
Registered
73 Posts
well, im a ford guy, so this imput may or may not be true about the duramax too......but ford had issues with thier early 6.0 injectors dumping fuel into the crankcase as well. the ONLY time i saw any engine damage was during a "runaway". i saw three of them and one of them was while I was driving it. basically the crankcase oil has enough fuel in it that the little bit of oil that is being fed onto the cylender walls by the oil jets allows the engine to run off of the actual crankase oil/fuel mixture......and there is no way to turn the motor off besides running it till it runs out of oil or completely plugging off the air intake (impossible while driving)

long and the short of it is since your truck didnt have a runaway problem to run it low on oil, and odds are it hasnt had fuel in the oil for too teribly long since you would have seen many, many problems if it had.....i would think your motor should be just fine........Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Here's the latest: The dealership acknowledges the problem and says that the most recent GM service bulletin directes them to replace ALL injectors when this problem presents itself. It seems that there is a $100 deductible and I paid it. The issue of a 200,000 mile warranty is uncertain....I was told that there is a 100,000 mile warranty and nothing more. I picked up me truck yesterday....lasted about 3 miles before the check engine light went on and it began to buck and run roughly. Went back to the dealership which kept it until today and explained the problem as 'corroded electrical connections with the new injectors(?)'. Seems to run normally since. Time will tell. The dealership as well as the two posts here lead me to believe that the engine should be fine. I sure hope so. And, again, thanks for the responses!

Craig

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Check this out: 2001-2002 Model Year vehicles may be covered by Special Policy Number 04039. Please refer to Special Policy Number 04039 before submitting any warranty claims.

Have your dealer look this up. Here is a copy of it off of dieselplace.com. Be sure to read the statement in bold red underline. You might be able to get your $100 back if you wish to push the issue. This policy should still be current:

Special Policy Adjustment - Injectors-Replace #04039 - (May 26, 2004)
Special Policy Adjustment - Injector - Replace
2001-2002 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2002 GMC Sierra

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine

Condition
Some customers of 2001-02 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks or ball seat erosion.

Special Policy Adjustment
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important
This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 25, 2004, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 25, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2001-02 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

2001 Chevrolet Silverado
1E100028 1E346644
1F100001 1F213872
1Z100015 1Z100019

2001 GMC Sierra
1E100021 1E346642
1F1000101 1F213864

2002 Chevrolet Silverado
2E100009 2E306435
2F100004 2F247804

2002 GMC Sierra
2E100003 2E306345
2F100011 2F247974

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Thanks to all who responded especially ob1_jr for the warranty information. Armed with that I called the dealership that did the repairs and asked for my hundred bucks back. No dice. I next called the dealership from which I purchased the truck and spoke with their Service Manager. This guy spent twenty minutes on the phone with me, looked up 04039 and the serial numbers to which it applies and told me he thought I should not be subject to a co-pay. I called the local dealership back and told them that. Still no dice. I finally called GM and laid it out for them. Received an call yesterday confirming the existence of 04039 and its provisions and offering an apology for the error of the local dealership in taking my money. A cheque is in the mail. Without the help of the guys on this forum I would not have known how to pursue this matter. So, again, THANKS!

PS: The other thing I learned (or now at least understand) is that the extended warranty coverning injector problems is superceded by the parts warranty once repairs are made....e.g., now that my truck has new injectors, they are covered only for 6 months or 12,000 miles. No longer is the engine covered to 200,000 miles for injector problems. That seems to be a one-time deal and I have used it up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PS: The other thing I learned (or now at least understand) is that the extended warranty coverning injector problems is superceded by the parts warranty once repairs are made....e.g., now that my truck has new injectors, they are covered only for 6 months or 12,000 miles. No longer is the engine covered to 200,000 miles for injector problems. That seems to be a one-time deal and I have used it up.[/QUOTE]

They identified the main problem as being faulty oring seals. They have upgraded the material used in the injector construction. From what I hear most people that have had the fix there doesnt seem to be any more problems. Now they have had problems with the seals on the fuel rail and the injection pumps themselves, but not nearly to the extent of the injector problems.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
That is wrong...injectors are covered for 7yr/200,000 miles reguardless how many times you get them replaced. I know guys that have had them changed around 70,000 and then again around 120,000, and again before the 200,000 miles are up. This is because of the special policy that GM has on the injectors on the 01-02s and they will honor that if the 03-04 has the same indications as the TSB above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's funny after faithfully serving the community at large as a fireman for many years my husband cannot get any service in return!
I need to get this off my chest, my husband and I purchased a Chevy Silverado Duramax Diesel 2500 with the Allsion Transmission. Being a fireman for over 22 years my husband knew any truck with the Allison trans had to be great!
Problem is we have had a total of four sets of injectors replaced in this truck, the last set only lasted little over 5600 hundred miles. Feeling frustrated we went to GM at the dealers suggestion and GM's only response was "sORRY YOU'RE UNHAPPY" they feel the truck has lived up to it's potential?
Each one of the GM dealerships that have worked on this truck say there is DEFINITELY A PROBLEM, they are not quite sure what this will do or has already done to other parts of the engine.
Can't sell it, can't trade it, We are just stuck!!!
88,000 miles on a diesel, and it's of no use to us. I am afraid to take it to the corner market!
We have purchased several GM products and feel with this particular truck we feel we have been treated VERY POORLY.
All we have ever wanted was for GM to stand behind their product. Consumers these days have several options and we opted to choose GM and American Made Vehicle and we have been left high and dry, feeling alone with a faulty truck!
Lawrie Mantwell
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts