Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had some things done at the dealer...differential and tc fluids changed, oil/filter change...they recommended a fuel injector service to clean the injectors...said they were full of soot and dirty...never read much on here about this type of preventative maintenance...just getting your guys opinions?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Give them the BS flag-- I do not think it is a good idea-- just keep the fuel clean, filter changed and I add 2 cycle oil to my fuel at fill-up.

In my opinion any cleaner run through the injectors will take away the lubrication of the injector and then you will may have injector problems. There are many vehicles with 200-400 K miles and never had the injectors cleaned.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never heard much about running 2 cycle oil at fill up...how much do you add...what is it supposed to do?

·
Registered
186 Posts
sounds like a screw job to me.. ask them how they can tell if the injectors are sooted up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i asked...i said are you recommending this because of mileage or what?...they said something about when pushing the throttle that could see soot inside...i really dont know what that means...im not very mechanically inclined?

·
Registered
186 Posts
tell them they are f'in nuts.. unless there is some sort of trick to seeing them injectors pushing the throttle isnt going to see chit for them

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
omg lmao dealers are stealers

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this was the service guy that works up front that told me this...not the mechanic...so who knows...i need my coolant and transmission fluids changed too...makes me question using them...

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
yeah you might wanna try some where different they might wanna change your blinker fluid and your muffler bearings while there at it lol oh yeah and don't forget your fourwheel drive pulley they have a tendency to got out as well

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha...well thats that problem...not many reputable places around here...there is one "diesel" shop but they are insanely expensive...even way more than the dealer if you can believe that...and i dont know if i trust any of the local mom/pop mechanic shops...

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
where you from

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
southeast texas...around a town called beaumont

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
Are you running fuel additives? If not consider it and run it in every tank. That will help keep things clean and lubricated. You can use 2 cycle but it won't do anything to clean them.

For me its AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate and Cetane Booster. Use 4 oz of each per 20 gals of fuel. Is this the fix all? Nope. Do I know my injectors are clean? Nope. But my truck idles smoother and I am getting a little better fuel economy. Plus, I have peace of mind that I have done my part to try and preserve this fail point in our motors.

If I can help with more information about these products or something else from AMSOIL, just let me know.

Take care,

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can't do much worse than a dealership telling you that they can see your injectors are dirty when they open the throttle! Holy cow! What a bunch of dirty scammers!

Tell them you'd like to speak with the mechanic that has the X-Ray vision. Then drive your truck away and NEVER go back there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts