Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im almost 100% sure its not a trans. limp because i dont get a cel. Every time im in extreme and i floor it to jump around some one or in the case of the other day a woman just about hit me so i floored it to get around her and all of a sudden i dont have any acceleration. slow down a bit and thats when i notice its not revving above 2000 rpm. Fuel filter is new and i run power service cus its been real cold lately. Would a lift pump or fuel rail shim kit solve this?? Note it doesnt do this in performance or tow/econ settings. And ive noticed it doing this alot since winter started. Any ideas guys??

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
the shim kit will fix this . You should be getting a 1093 code or some pother codes, not all codes trim the CEL.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It shounds like a "shift inhibited" problem. whens the last time you changed your tranny fluid and BOTH filters? It could be a weak disc. You dont necessarily have a CEL when you limp. I think it depends how bad it is. Maybe im wrong.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not down shifting or anything it just wont rev above 2000. If i stop i can still go thru the gears just takes a long time to get up to speed.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
deff sounds like an engine limp. you need fuel shim kit

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now what exactly would this shim kit do and who has the best price?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Alligator performance has them. they are 10 bucks and it stops the fuel rail from draining the fuel when you are under high acceleration

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should i get a lift pump also?? or would the shim kit work just fine? i dont pull the truck or anything. just the occasional street race lol

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
shim is all you need but the lift pump will help save your CP3 also by making sure ifs feed with fuel all the time

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks guys. Def gonna be in the near future to buy them...i dont wanna ruin my cp3 pump.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would a ppe billet fuel pick up and a bigger cp3 inlet help this? becuase when I get into my truck it will not shift over 2000 rpm. and when it does it bucks back and forth really bad and has no power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the ppe race valve installed on my 04 dmax and it doses the same thing, dose it even when i don't hammer on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Took truck to dealer and they told my that it was my edge causing the problem or the ecm was going bad. I don't think it is the edge doing this as i seen on this site others with efi live have the same problem?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the exact same problem on mine a few months ago. Exact same symptoms where it would go limp only when getting on it to pass someone and then the tranny would still go thru all gears just staying under 2k.

I replaced the fuel filter as some recommended and "knock on wood" it has not happened at all since! I have towed (in tow mode) a few good loads since then and ran on extreme on my bully dog and its still running strong. if you had bad fuel or something then your new filter could be contaminated already??

but I did read alot about people putting in the shim kits and solving the problems too..

good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just changed my fuel filter yesterday and my truck went into the 2000 rpm limp mode twice today, the last to time i had the codes checked and got the p0621 code both times could this be signs of my ecm going out????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it possible that you didn't get it primed properly after installing and that caused problems?
When I first replaced mine I pumped/primed it and thought I was good but the second day I went out and it would fire up and shut right off... found out the bleed screw was leaking very slightly and I had to re-prime it. It has now been a few months and it hasn't missed a lick since!

Just a thought...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I prime mine using the fass lift pump, also truck never stalls and when trying to rev engine over 2000rpm in park it seams like it is missing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts