Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started noticing drips underneath my truck and thought it was a brake line so i went underneath to check and relized it was diesel fuel. one of the lines are leaking that are located directly above to torsion key on the driver side. I was wondering what the best way to fix this. do they sell oem fuel lines that i can use to replace or am i going to have to buy fuel line and do it my self. the lines ar partialy braided but cant tell where exactly its leaking from yet(braided part or metal fittings) all the other lines dont look to great either just wondering what my best options would be for this. any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
free bump

sounds like you may need to just replace the line

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
free bump

sounds like you may need to just replace the line
Thanks for that, and yeah that what i think, i need to get back under there and see if there are some spots that i can disconnect it and get a new part or if im going to have to cut it and make my own line

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just went back underneath to see if there was somewhere to disconnect the section of line but i couldnt fine anything. its the line that comes of some sort of fuel cooler it looks like then it goes all the way up to the FICM i believe. so am i goin to have to go to a dealership and buy this one whole line?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Cut that piece out....flare the ends and put a piece of hose with some clamps....prob solved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cut that piece out....flare the ends and put a piece of hose with some clamps....prob solved.
Its rotted where it goes from braided to metal so i wont be able to do that, and it also is in the area where it has a couple 90s very close to one another

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so here is my gameplan, someone can chime in if they dont think this will work. i am going to cut the braided line and get a barbed fitting and get some braided fuel line the same size and connect it to where i cut it the i will go further down the fuel line to where it is straight and i can get to easily and cut a flare it and connect the tubeing to it with a hose clamp. this will only be a temproray fix until i get the time to replace all my fuel lines with OEM ones.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Don't know about an 04, but I just went through this on my 06. Dealer said it would be around $350.00 for them to do it and they were just using 3/8" neoprene hose and hose clamps. I went to Oreilly's and bought 20ft. for $20.00 and did it myself. I also spent about $5.00 on some new hose clamps. Works fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know about an 04, but I just went through this on my 06. Dealer said it would be around $350.00 for them to do it and they were just using 3/8" neoprene hose and hose clamps. I went to Oreilly's and bought 20ft. for $20.00 and did it myself. I also spent about $5.00 on some new hose clamps. Works fine.
Sounds like the way i will be going then. did you replace large sections of the metal fuel line with the neoprene hose?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Sounds like the way i will be going then. did you replace large sections of the metal fuel line with the neoprene hose?
No, just replaced existing flex lines with new. The biodiesel was rotting the old flex lines. I didn't want to lose the CP3 or the injectors due to rotting fuel hose. I run nothing but ULSD now with an additive for lubrication. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i think im going to have to replace a lot of metal line with flexible hose for now. Do you know what size the hose is both OD and ID thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump

Need to find out the flexible fuel line hose size if anyone knows, its the line coming off the cooler going to the engine.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The cooler lines are 3/8 I believe. The fuel goes through the cooler and back into the fuel tank. It is unused fuel from the engine. There is no pressure in the line-- but the hose needs to be fuel grade hose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cooler lines are 3/8 I believe. The fuel goes through the cooler and back into the fuel tank. It is unused fuel from the engine. There is no pressure in the line-- but the hose needs to be fuel grade hose.
I just finished up the repair i went to napa and got some 3/8 tubing but it says its for gas i believe so will this be good for diesel also or should i get diesel rated lines and replace the piece i just put on?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You will be OK with that line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright sounds good, thanks a lot for the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
im going through the same problem with mine. except i was quoted $3200 to fix mine (fuel cooler, all new lines from the tank to the front). there has to be an easier and cheaper way to fix it. im being told the quick connect fittings are only made by GM so thats why they are so much money. if anybody has any advice as to what i should do please chime in or send me a pm.

ps the truck wont even start unless primed but only runs for about 5-10 seconds

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im going through the same problem with mine. except i was quoted $3200 to fix mine (fuel cooler, all new lines from the tank to the front). there has to be an easier and cheaper way to fix it. im being told the quick connect fittings are only made by GM so thats why they are so much money. if anybody has any advice as to what i should do please chime in or send me a pm.

ps the truck wont even start unless primed but only runs for about 5-10 seconds
Back towards the tank my lines are pretty bad and need to be replaced but what i did to fix the one that was leaking is cut the braided line that goes into the cooler in half and put a barbed 3/8 coupler i got at lowes and put it in the braided line and got some 3/8 fuel hose from napa and put that onto the other end, then i went to the closest braided part of the fuel line which is about a foot away and cut that and spliced the fuel line i got into that with another barbed 3/8 fitting and used hose clamps to tighten it all down and no more leak. i only used about a foot of tubing but it replace about 2-3 feet of the metal tubing. i will get a picture of it tomorrow if you would like. just a temporary thing for know figuered i will replace the other lines and what not when i decided to do an air dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Back towards the tank my lines are pretty bad and need to be replaced but what i did to fix the one that was leaking is cut the braided line that goes into the cooler in half and put a barbed 3/8 coupler i got at lowes and put it in the braided line and got some 3/8 fuel hose from napa and put that onto the other end, then i went to the closest braided part of the fuel line which is about a foot away and cut that and spliced the fuel line i got into that with another barbed 3/8 fitting and used hose clamps to tighten it all down and no more leak. i only used about a foot of tubing but it replace about 2-3 feet of the metal tubing. i will get a picture of it tomorrow if you would like. just a temporary thing for know figuered i will replace the other lines and what not when i decided to do an air dog.
treadonmelly if you could snap some pics of your setup i think it would help out a bundle. thanks in advance

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is where my line was rotted and leaking

The braided line on the left off the cooler is the one i tapped into

This is where i cut it and spliced my piece in

I ran that tubing down the torsion bar to the next part of the line that was braided and taped it in there

Another pic of the other line i cut to run my tubing

So i basically ran this tubing and bypassed all the metal fuel line

1 - 20 of 21 Posts