Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax and the Fuel Gauge jumps around from full to empty but never inbetween. Anyone tell me how to test the sending unit and possible where to pick up an inexpencive one (Auto Store wants $350+ for a new one and id like to try and fix it if it is the issue.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like the sender (in tank) is worn out. There are little tabs on the float that slide with the fuel level and they wear out. You should be able to unhook it and ground one of the wires and change the fuel level on the gauge to check it. (Unsure of wire color maybe someone will chime in.) Or pull the box and remove the sender and look at it. If your unsure throw an ohm meter at it and that will tell you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will give that a shot. I just trying to figue out where to come up with the $$ if i need to spend it. But if i dont id feel better. :eek: Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No prob. Used to see this in gassers all the time and I have fixed lots of them, even my old one. They used to sell just the sensor for like 80 to 100 bucks or something like that but they thought they would get smart and make you buy everything that goes in the tank for lots more money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine also does this. But I have a gravity flow 60 gallon fuel cell in bed. After starting the truck the gauge stays on full for about 20 mins. then goes to empty and will stay there until I kill the truck and restart it. Is this the same problem as Buddaorf? It only does it when the fuel cell is full to half full.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Almost sounds different to me, because the truck has to be restarted to make the gauge come alive. Usually if the sensor is worn it will bounce around as you drive or just not work at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope not the same as mine-- Max is right it does it all the time and i dont have a spare cell.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.