Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have an 03 LB7 and my fuel lines around the cooler have rusted to the point of starting to leak.
My question is, I want to put a lift pump on to help injector life and performance but do not plan on building up the tranny or adding more power past banks, exhaust, waste gait. So which lift pump
Would you recommend? I'm assuming that doing them at the same time will be easiest. Any other mods I should do while apart? And where is the best place to get lines?
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Air dog II and Fass are the most used but several other options are available, any vendor on here will have them and not much difference in price. I would check them out as they should have some deals going on. I liked my Air dog II because of the ease of installation, lines snap right on to the factory fittings on the supply side, I believe Fass is very similar to this setup.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Good list of mods to get but if steer away from banks and go efi live its cheaper and you can have the tunes tweaked to do exactly what you want and IMO are much safer than canned tuners

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've read only good things about John Kennedy's lift pump. He's a vendor on here I'm sure.
You have to add your own filter heads though - his is just the pump, no filter attachments.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The cooler and lines are on the return side of the fuel system, and are low pressure. Some just change the fittings and use fuel hose.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ive been uaing a NAPA $80 Carter lift pump for almost 2yr now and never had a problem. Its a 95GPH pump with 4-5psi max. Only downside is it has 1/4" NPT inlet/outlet. I have mine converted to AN fittings but even on my biggest PPE tune I never drained my rails.

I work in the oil fields too so she been put through the paces. Never gave a problem in winter either. I also have a CAT filter head mounted before my pump (It was originally for a CAT Tele-Handler). I only have about $150-$200 in everything.

The last pic you can see how I cut the hard line just a couple inches longer that the actual end that pushes into the runner line. I slid my 1/2" rubber line onto it and then double clamped it. On the frame almost under the doors I did the same thing. So far not a problem one. If I had the money at the time I would've loved to had got a AirDog or FASS but was very budget minded at the time.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to one but I dont plan on upgrading til this little unit bites the dustm

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Also there is a seller on ebay that sells compkete hard line kits for our trucks:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271345554452?nav=SEARCH

The above link is for Crew Cab truck but he has all options.

While your tackling fuel lines under the truck it'd probably be a good time to replace the rubber lines up top and maybe a filter head rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Hey! That looks familiar! :hahahahahaha
Matchin' Red Bling with the tranny filter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I'm going to order a pump, filters and hose thru summit, looks like $200 for everything.
I don't have my truck with me at work today. What size fuel line do I need for the feed and return lines? 100gph, 14-16 psi

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Supply = 1/2"
Return = 3/8"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey! That looks familiar! :hahahahahaha
Matchin' Red Bling with the tranny filter.
Did you do a write up or build thread on how you did that fuel set and and the filter part numbers, etc? I'm searching!

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
No, I'm behind. Downerrr
I neglected to note some different sizes on nuts/bolts/wrenches/sockets while I was messin' with it, but I did get lots of pics to use.

I'll put something together though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This thread makes me happy!! I was dreading spending almost a grand at about the same time i want to build my tranny.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, I'm behind. Downerrr
I neglected to note some different sizes on nuts/bolts/wrenches/sockets while I was messin' with it, but I did get lots of pics to use.

I'll put something together though.
Well it sure looks nice and clean and I wouldn't mind duplicating that. I like it's tucked up and out of the way and did some reading on the Kennedy lift pump I think it has a couple things about it I prefer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How necessary is the fuel cooler? I had a little mishap getting the rusted lines off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts