Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heres the issue:
I have to tow my car to Denver for a show this spring. However, when that show is over, I'm going to Charlotte, NC to pick up some stuff, and come back home to Seattle, WA.

With it being a long trip, I was thinking I could keep the Camaro with a friend (heh) in Denver and pick it up on the way back. My question however is...

Do you think a 3500 LMM 2008 Duramax with a 9.5' Camper + a ~2000lbs trailer would be very much different MPG-wise than if a camaro was on it? because it would be more convenient to not have to store it.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Im gonna guess there might be 1-2mpg difference between towing the camper and empty trailer vs the camper and loaded trailer. The camper will probably cause more loss than the trailer from catching the wind.
I pulled an empty 8x12 cargo trailer (covered square nose enclosed trailer) and got worse mileage than I did towing our 21.5' boat (4-5k) Its not so much the weight but how easy it pulls through the air.

Keeping it under 65 will help as well

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Towing a empty trailer will be a rougher ride for you in your truck.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Your 9 1/2' camper alone will cause the majority of the mileage drop.
Camper towing a empty trailer vs your Camaro on the trailer, there will not be much of a loss if any.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips! After installing the camper for the first time, I think the time savings alone for not having to pull the trailer+camper off the truck will be worth it. Just one mistaken backup will cost way more than any fuel mileage! :gearjamin

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
You might consider aftermarket back-up sensors and/or a back-up camera

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thinking about the backup camera. The tailgate needs to get replaced, and I have the convience package for the '08, so I'm hoping it includes the wiring so I can put the OEM mirror and some camera in there (saw the $300 backup camera thread).
What'd be really cool is if you could get -another- camera that could plug into the harness that is mounted on the camper.

The problem (and I'll probably have to take photos of this) is that I only have 1/4" spacing between the front jacks and the dually fenders. Additionally I have 1/4" spacing between the camper frame and the bed.

Its --really-- close, and while I can change the jack placement (will be getting a 2-3 inch flat plate to spread it out), there is nothing I can do about the frame of the camper.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
There are wireless camera systems out there, something like that would work pretty good on your camper. Check out Camping World.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts