Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well today I checked out both Highway and City.I have a bone stock 2006 LLY with a 6 speed Allison w/3:73's with 35's......................

City 14.80

Highway 16.75

Is this about normal ? Thinking of a Tow Tune for better mileage.........exhaust,air intake........where would you begin.....what brand?
Any replies will be apreciated :drink

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds good to me especially with 35's. If you were travelling at speed limit then you are doing well, you're at or close to sea level therefor your mileage is probably the best it can be for stock. I always look at cost/expense vs saving fuel. if you travel 18000 miles a year and spend $600.00 for a tune the fuel saving of 2mpg (98L tank)26Gal would take 2.5-3 yrs to pay that 600.00 back then another 2.5-3 to save $600. not too much can be done cheaply to make drastic improvements. I personally get the same mileage and love it as compared to other makes. I would say if you can live with it then nothing is lost if you have to a tune is probably the best option as you can adjust more than mileage. For around 6-800 bones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not only will a tuner, air intake and exhaust help a bit with mileage you'll also have a lot more fun driving the truck with the increased HP.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Your speedo & odo may be off with the 35's.
Nice paint job on the tail gate!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your speedo & odo may be off with the 35's.
Nice paint job on the tail gate!!!
Thanks, My speedo is off 13%,I took total mileage X 13% added that to miles traveled / Gallons used.........think I did it right.......the tailgate is a reflection of a pic with me with the 69 in the background :gearjamin

·
Registered
393 Posts
Your fuel mpg's sound about right. A tow tune would probably get ya better mpg's running 35's, & also a lift? But.............. as long as you keep your right foot controlled! Because extra ponies leads to fun!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
i have 265s, hypertech on level 3, and straight pipe, 19 city, 23 highway.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
315/75/16 W/6" Lift

Baby'n for test

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just saying, but with that car that is sitting behind your truck, you shouldn't care about mpg... Haha, just kidding...
LOL......I checked it going to Daytona last year........going 80 I pulled down 16 with the 69......not bad for a 420HP smallblock I guess.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much will a tuner gain me MPG ?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great. Now I want to stay dependable and have no problems............what do I need HP/TQ in a tuner /brand
to stay safe and get power/mileage?
Thanks for your help.........diesels new to me ,I know smallblocks..........LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
the higher the tune, the more mpg, but the greater the risk, i hear the stock tranny can handle 90hp, with is about a higher tow tune, but i see people run 135-160 and just stay off the peddle as much as possilbe, and they can get 3mpg better...
and most people with tunners will argue wich are the best, but any clean (non smokey) tunner will yeild close to the same results, so ppe, efi, ats (my favorite), edge, and some others are pretty close to the same, just some have different options than others, just look them up, and see what they say the tuners can do, and what prices are, and go from there... hope that helps

·
Registered
266 Posts
the allison 5 speed will comfortably handle 90 hp tune, the 6 speed will handle 120hp comfortably because of the upgraded c1 and c2 clutches over the earlier years.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bang for buck.....what do you recomend guys ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your best bet is going to be EFI Live. PPE, Edge, those are really the best, i have a hypertech its got a 95hp 160tq tune, i got it for 200. i like it alot does everything i want. but if you really want to put down some power get one of the others, the hypertech gives me some power plus helped my fuel mileage greatly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts